Confederate flags in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It has nothing to do with slavery or supporting the political views at the time
Sure. Apart from the fact the flag most commonly displayed is of the Confederate States Army. Which, ya know, went to war over their desire to uphold slavery. People saying it doesn't have those connotations are simply deluded.

Associate
Sure. Apart from the fact the flag most commonly displayed is of the Confederate States Army. Which, ya know, went to war over their desire to uphold slavery. People saying it doesn't have those connotations are simply deluded.

Almost everyone that displays it publicly are doing so to show their pride in where they come from. Not because they want a slave cleaning their house.

Why doesn't the OP knock on their door and ask them? Maybe I'm wrong and they're flying the flag as a sign of white supremacy and support of slavery?

Man of Honour
I bought one of the original designed C.S.A. National Flags, at a flea market, near Baton Rouge LA years ago, it consists of three horizontal bars, red at the top and bottom, and white in the centre, with a blue canton of 13 white stars in a circle.
Originally 11 States seceded, but secessionist factions of Missouri and Kentucky joined in late 1861.
The guy who sold it to me said his great, great grandfather had it in Montgomery AL during the war, he also had some faded photos of his family, some in the grey of the Confederacy, and some other relative’s discharge papers, who had surrendered near Durham NC, after Lee’s surrender at Appomattox VA.
I thought that it was a result at $150, but the seller said most people weren’t interested in his one, they wanted the Stars and Bars, which was actually the Confederate Battle Flag.
I wouldn’t fly it, as much as I had some sympathy for the States Rights issue, but certainly not slavery.
I do fly a 45 cm X 25 cm French Tricoleur, on Bastille Day, and I sometimes put a 25 cm X 20 cm Old Glory on the table on the last Thursday in November, my birthday often falls around Thanksgiving Day, and my wife makes a mean pumpkin pie.

Last edited:
Soldato
Almost everyone that displays it publicly are doing so to show their pride in where they come from. Not because they want a slave cleaning their house.
Again, why can't they show their pride with the stars and stripes? There's nothing the confederate flag adds, apart from the slavery connotation. I repeat;
People saying it doesn't have those connotations are simply deluded.

Why doesn't the OP knock on their door and ask them? Maybe I'm wrong and they're flying the flag as a sign of white supremacy and support of slavery?
I think he should. But I think the whole thread is a wind-up so...

Permabanned
OP
What channel showed The Dukes of Hazard? There was no brouhaha about the Confederate Flag back then was there? Would it be considered a persona non grata programme because of it these days? I don't see much of them, they are retired and often out on their bikes in this wonderful weather, but I will ask them when I see them. I'll flag it in my diary.....

The wife thinks they may be having a barbecue or a party tonight, and it's the equivalent of marker balloons for people who aren't sure which house it's at, as she's seen kids she's never seen before playing in the garden...

robe.jpg

(Joke, for the humourless..... ;))

Associate
Again, why can't they show their pride with the stars and stripes? There's nothing the confederate flag adds, apart from the slavery connotation. I repeat;

Again, the South is seen in a derogatory fashion by the rest of the country so Americans from the South fly it as a signal of pride.

I've no doubt our flag has negative connotations and causes offence in some parts of the world and to certain people due to our historic policies overseas and at home.

We are not well liked across the globe.

Caporegime

Same reas9n Scottish and Welsh and Irish people show thier pride with thier local flags not a union flag?

Caporegime

You'll still get people offended by the way colonialists treated North American natives centuries ago, there is really no end to the "I'm offended so censor it" mentality. People need to just stop trying to get everything they don't like banned.

Soldato
You'll still get people offended by the way colonialists treated North American natives centuries ago, there is really no end to the "I'm offended so censor it" mentality. People need to just stop trying to get everything they don't like banned.

I'm offended by the Romans/Italians enslaving Britain. I want some compo immediately!

Si0Tfaz.jpg

Interesting combination in a "loyalist" area a few years back.

That's not a nazi swastika I don't think. Possibly a religious symbol. Still a weird flag combo though :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom