Welding required to pass an MOT...oh dear..

Associate
I've had my 54 plate in for it's MOT (passed last year no issues), and been told that amongst other things there are two or three holes underneath that need welded. Not huge, and not far apart, but it needs doing.

I know it's going to be rusty but I only do 3k miles a year (it's a second car for my own use), it's done 74k in total. The MOT centre can't do it so I'm left rushing around to find a welder..and it's turned out to be very difficult! Not many of them and even those I've phoned are busy or their welder's on the blink!

My MOT ran out today which makes things worse, but legally I believe I can take it from the MOT centre to home so long as I've got somewhere booked. I should get it back tomorrow and hope to have somewhere arranged by then.

Anyone have experience of having their car welded, is it generally a good idea, or even does anyone in the area (Glasgow) have any recommendations for someone to do it? The car's worth less than 1k but I do love it and would rather spend a reasonable amount for another year out of it (it's convertible so the summer days are coming up..well a handful of them anyway..). Cheers guys.

Permabanned
My experience of getting my car welded was that every subsequent MOT it needed more welding, until the cost of the welding was more than the value of the car. If I could go back, I'd just cut my losses and sell it for scrap. Does depend on the car's value tho, might be worth fixing and selling.

Caporegime
Depends if you actually have the rot chopped out, or if you just pay Gaz at the corner garage £20 to stick a plate over the top of the rot so the tester can't see it.

Chop the rot out, and if its protected properly it should last longer than the rest of the car. :p

Soldato
it really depends, but for minor stuff thats fixed properly it's not a major issue and not massively expensive.

of course it can depend on the car, like the mx5 has its reputation that once you go to fix one weld by the time you've ground back to bare metal to weld to half the car's missing :p

Soldato
My MX5 failed two mots due to rust, on the recommendation of the test centre I used Saracen Autos in possilpark. The place looks sketchy as hell, but the welding was great, two mots later the guy commented on how good it was as I feared it would need redoing.
Also used Torrance Bodyshop who were very expensive but I did get the sill painted and welded. If I had to pick I would happily use Saracen autos and easily recommend them.
They are on Denmark Street.

Associate
I had a minor bit of welding done on the 2nd to last MOT for my 55 plate 307 before I got rid of it,
luckily my local independent do it on site, so it only cost me about £90 and I had the car back the next day.

The work was to patch a couple of holes under the door sill, passed the next MOT absolutely fine with no further work needed.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the comments guys. I know she’s just a Peugeot but i’ve become attached (mainly by the wallet!). I’ll give Saracen Autos a call and see what they say..it’s always good to get a recommendation.
I should be getting it off ATS today and I’ll try to get a visual of it myself - hopefully it’s not going to be a big job. If I can’t get a welder today i’ll just need to at least book someone and I think that’ll cover me legally. I’ll keep you posted!

Associate
OP
Hopefully i’ll have similar success Lopez - it’s booked in for the welding on Thursday so I’ll be heading straight over after the other items have been sorted.

I know it’s an old car but it’s not broken down on me once in eleven years (apart from a dead battery when it had been left for a couple of weeks) and externally it still looks quite good so fingers crossed it’ll do me another couple of years without further drama.

I’m probably never going to be able to afford another convertible until I retire so i’m hanging on to that precious experience by my fingernails!

Soldato
So... A stronger and more expensive version of a fiberglass bodge repair? I like it. :p

Carbon fiber is way stronger than fiberglass. So strong that replacing certain panels with it can make the car non-road legal, because crumple zones won't crumple any more :/

Back
Top Bottom