Canon 1000d to 750d - Worthy upgrade? Opinions?

Associate
So i have been using my 1000d since about 2008-2009 and i have taken about 29,000 photos with it and have had a blast learning all about DSLR's. I have the stock 18-55mm IS lens and the 55-250 canon lens as everyone recommends that. Now im going on holiday soon and have been on a camera upgrade research binge. I thought against getting a handheld such as a Sony RX100 because once i get back it wont be used, they just aren't as fun as a DSLR. So i have spent months thinking where i can upgrade, go for a 1300d or maybe a 100d and then i seen the 750d, seems its got the all around upgrade, 24mp sensor so 140% more pixels for cropping, 19AF points up from 7 and then quality of life improvements such as wifi, touchscreen and a nice 5fps shooting compared to 3.

Now my question is do you think its a nice upgrade? I think spending a bit more for a 750d means i will get a good 10 years out of it like my 1000d as its got the new sensor, i could get a 100d but thats 18mp and it misses a good few features like the 19AF points, i really love the idea of more AF points because i have found 7 a bit of a hasle sometimes.

Soldato
I love my 750D and I have some good L glass for it,there is so many good points about the 750 I like that won't make me upgrade for a few years yet.

Things I like about the 750...
Flip out screen
Touch screen
The pictures it takes with good glass is more than enough for me
The price

Associate
OP
I love my 750D and I have some good L glass for it,there is so many good points about the 750 I like that won't make me upgrade for a few years yet.

Things I like about the 750...
Flip out screen
Touch screen
The pictures it takes with good glass is more than enough for me
The price
My idea is since i sort of need an upgrade as my 1000d is getting on and its just a little old with its 10mp sensor and 7 AF points after i get my 750d i could then focus on getting some new lenses as i progress with my new camera, i COULD get the lenses first but honestly i fancy a new shiny thing and the 10mp images kind of limit me with cropping so i think camera first is better.

Associate
OP
I'd have a look at a 200D, used 70d or 77d. The reason why?
Dual pixel AF, the 750d doesn't have it.
I dont have any lenses compatible with that so it would be wasted for a long time, the lenses compatible seem mighty expensive too, i feel it would be wasted on a hobbyist like myself?

EDIT: I just read the page wrong apparently it supports almost all canon lenses, WOOPS! So is this a big feature, does it make a big difference to someone like myself?

Soldato
Well its depends on your point of view really, many people are exclusively view finder oriented however I often find that its because the option of quick AF in live view has not been there.
Once you use it you find yourself using it more and more, the reviews and samples will all talk about video but it's also so useful in stills, it just makes composition and framing more fun, quick and reliable because you don't have to cover yourself and in dirt on your belly as an example.

Associate
OP
Oh so its only for the screen? I never ever use the screen and find cameras without a viewfinder impossible to use, im just so used to my 1000d and that screen is TERRIBLE in live view, its unusable! So the main benifit is you can bend the screen out and take a photo using the screen instead of the viewfinder? And the 750d couldnt do that?

Associate
OP
Well its depends on your point of view really, many people are exclusively view finder oriented however I often find that its because the option of quick AF in live view has not been there.
Once you use it you find yourself using it more and more, the reviews and samples will all talk about video but it's also so useful in stills, it just makes composition and framing more fun, quick and reliable because you don't have to cover yourself and in dirt on your belly as an example.
I cant find ANY info on Dual pixel AF in reference to photography, it seems everywhere is talking about video? Is it purely for video? Can someone maybe explain what this feature does and why its so good?

Soldato
No it works for stills as well.
Put simply the its a fast way of auto focusing in live view, if you use the rear screen for composing and shooting then the experience of using a camera that has dual pixel AF vs hybrid contrast detect AF can be dramatic.

Again though it depends on your point of view, if you are not bothered about using the rear screen for composition and shooting or not bothered about video then don't get hung about it, if you are then for sure a body with dual pixel maybe a better option.

Having said I've just looked at this video and am very pleasantly surprised how well the 760D does.

Associate
Dual Pixel AF is the industry leader in Live subject tracking and touch to focus. I believe Sony system is the next best thing, however it is still a lot behind Canon.

When I first got my 7D DSLR many years ago I was only interested in stills. After a while I was watching YouTube videos about using my 7D and quite a few bang on about the video capabilities. So I played around with and I noticed with the optics of the canon L glass and larger sensor I was getting some pretty decent video compared to my Smart phone ( I know not a good comparison, however that was the only device I was using for video ) so I practised more video use with 7D. I even brought a Rode mic and started videoing airshows, F1 racing etc and the quality was pretty good, back then.
My point is if my 7D had Dual Pixel AF my videoing would be some much easier to do, almost smart phone easy !

Associate
OP
Dual Pixel AF is the industry leader in Live subject tracking and touch to focus. I believe Sony system is the next best thing, however it is still a lot behind Canon.

When I first got my 7D DSLR many years ago I was only interested in stills. After a while I was watching YouTube videos about using my 7D and quite a few bang on about the video capabilities. So I played around with and I noticed with the optics of the canon L glass and larger sensor I was getting some pretty decent video compared to my Smart phone ( I know not a good comparison, however that was the only device I was using for video ) so I practised more video use with 7D. I even brought a Rode mic and started videoing airshows, F1 racing etc and the quality was pretty good, back then.
My point is if my 7D had Dual Pixel AF my videoing would be some much easier to do, almost smart phone easy !

I actually went for the 800D in the end and now i can see what its all about, its really rather smart, i never knew something like that could be so damn simple!

Soldato
Upgrades are very worthwhile when you're on the lower rungs of the product ladder. Ages ago I had a 1000d and upgraded to a 550d, and even that was a worthwhile upgrade!

Build quality, usability and feel are some of the most noticeable improvements when upgrading. Would recommend going used to get a better class of body as you can get better discounts on used bodies than lenses.

Back
Top Bottom