Win10 WAAS - Update deployment approach

Soldato
Hi all,

Just interested in those of you with experience in deploying en mass the Win10 quality and feature updates. Specifically those of you with remote sites with poor WAN connectivity and using WSUS, not SCCM.

I'm more interested in what your P2P method is and what control methods you employ in terms of scheduling and throttling.

Are you employing DO or BranchCache and in what combo? e.g. Are you utilising bypass download mode to enable BITS for DO and why? Are you throttling your BITS for certain poorly-linked sites etc?

What sort of reporting are you using on the effect? I know SCCM has some fancy reporting analysis, are there any decent PS queries you are running? Any decent third party tools?

Have you employed ring deployment stages in WSUS as per technet pages? How has that worked out?

How are you dealing with remote users who are rarely in the office? Our VPN solution routes internet traffic locally outside of the tunnel for example, so I am looking at deploying a GPO to this user group to include internet PCs in their DO scope (as opposed to DO on LAN only). Anyone done similar?

Just interested in how some of you are handling this and any best practice / tips.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think many people understand (or are interested) in the two year win10 refresh cycle! or they do, and have decided to use LTSB instead. also, remember many people are still using Windows 7.

any reason you are not using SCCM? The ability to do this, and also support clients over the internet (although I would look into direct access for that personally) would help you no end, as would the reporting. It's our bread and butter. We have weekly meetings on a Friday where we put up the SCCM reports on the big screen and look at percentages of patch/unpatched clients and servers. Windows 10 best feature is the new method of patching, a significant step up over windows 7 (as is server2016>2012). The reports we see show a near 100% patched environment each and every week. We have 100+ servers, 4,000+ clients and many laptops outside the company. SCCM (when done right) is pretty damn awesome.

How many clients are we talking about?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for responding, apologies I had not checked in a while!

We have ~2k clients in the BU we look after, and from what I can tell (fairly new to the company) the SCCM argument has never been made from a global perspective further up the chain, so albeit out of our control atm. So until then we are having to battle with WSUS :/

Back
Top Bottom