outdoor camera/mic advice needed

Ish

Ish

Associate
Hi

What would suggest for our usage as currently we just use a phone and the audio is usually terrible!

* Outdoor recordings where one person is interviewing the other person and at times it can be windy but need to pickup audio from both people. What would you suggest in terms of mic

* External mic input

* Ability to record up to 4k

* Not too big or bulky as will be carried in hand luggage at times

* must have decent zoom on it

I think that about covers it.

Soldato
Can't comment on the camera advice, but if it's just 1-2-1 interviews you'll be doing, I'd would've thought a lapel/lavalier mic would be your best bet? Others can confirm, as I'm not experienced in the field.

Soldato
Have a look at the Panasonic G80 or the Sony A6500 cameras. Both have microphone inputs and have interchangeable lens, you can then get the zoom lens which suits you best.

I am not sure of any cameras that have a fixed lens with a microphone, you may find that camcorders are better suited for this.

Ish

Ish

Associate
OP
Sorry, one point I didn't explain properly. The video camera will be held by a 3rd person and it needs to pickup audio from person 1 and 2 who will be standing in front of the camera.

I should have also wrote video camera and not camera in the title!

Soldato
I should have also wrote video camera and not camera in the title!
Most video recordings of Youtube etc are made with mirrorless system cameras.
Those traditional tiny sensor video cameras just don't have image quality.
Panasonic GH2 basically started that move away from dedicated video cameras.

And that kind sound recording also in some wind basically needs good microphone with windscreen.
Now there might be some video cameras with better microphones, but they're both more expensive and bigger than mirrorless system cameras.

Soldato
And if you need audio recording on camera rather than on independent channels (which you'd need to put together yourself, post interview), then I guess you'll be looking at a shotgun mic with a windshield as EsaT has mentioned. Something like a Rode VideoMic or similar, with one of those fluffy/furry windshields.

Back
Top Bottom