2009 Mini Cooper S - Yellow engine warning light?

Associate
Hi All,

I have a 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper S and the engine warning light has come on yellow.

Is there a way to find a fault code without taking it to a mechanic, so I can google the issue?

TIA.

Soldato
I bought one of them very cheap (£5) bluetooth OBD2 dongles for my Mini that you plug in and use an app (Torque) on your phone. Works awesome. Mines an 06 though, but im sure when i was Youtubing this, you can get into the maintenance menu on the display and see the fault codes there?

Mines still on now, its the O2 sensor on mine but reading up on the EML, it can range from not turning your petrol cap enough to more serious stuff.

I use this one.

Don
What mileage?
Have you had the timing chain tensioner replaced at all?

Is there a way to find a fault code without taking it to a mechanic, so I can google the issue?

Whilst you can - and as mentioned Torque will likely give you some of the generic fault codes, in a lot of cases you will still need dealer level diagnostics (e.g. BMW DIS) or a 3rd party equivalent (bavarian technic or bimcom?), in order to correctly interpret the cause of those faults.

Associate
OP
What mileage?
Have you had the timing chain tensioner replaced at all?

Mileage is ~78K

I don't think the timing chain tensioner has been replaced(?).

Whilst you can - and as mentioned Torque will likely give you some of the generic fault codes, in a lot of cases you will still need dealer level diagnostics (e.g. BMW DIS) or a 3rd party equivalent (bavarian technic or bimcom?), in order to correctly interpret the cause of those faults.

That appears quite costly. If the fault presented by dealer level diagnostics means the mini has to go in to the shop there would be nothing gained.

Thanks though.

Don
Mileage is ~78K

I don't think the timing chain tensioner has been replaced(?).

Timing Chain problems are unfortunately a common issue on the Cooper S.

That appears quite costly. If the fault presented by dealer level diagnostics means the mini has to go in to the shop there would be nothing gained.
I wasn't suggesting to buy them, just that using Torque is unlikely to give you a code that gives you an instant fix. It likely will give you a generic error such as "P0011 Camshaft Position A - Timing Over-Advanced", whereas a "dealer level diagnostic", would likely give you more information to narrow it down

Associate
It will be saved in the ECU as previous fault. You can either take it in and replace whatever caused it or wait for it to come back on again before taking it in.

Associate
OP
It will be saved in the ECU as previous fault. You can either take it in and replace whatever caused it or wait for it to come back on again before taking it in.

Yeah, gonna take it steady for a bit and see how it fares. Thanks.

Soldato
With a Lambda fail they can go on and off if it is borderline, but you're likely running in open loop, ie rich, so keep a check on your fuel consumption. Buy a Bluetooth ELM327 dongle and check it with torque.

Associate
Timing Chain problems are unfortunately a common issue on the Cooper S.

Can confirm, the one on mine jumped a tooth and it was rather expensive to repair.

There are tensioner replacement kits out there, or for peace of mind you can get the whole chain assembly replaced.

Back
Top Bottom