Distro Recommendation

Soldato
Want to install Linux onto a sff pc I have sitting here. Normally I would go for Ubuntu but wondering if anything else out there worth looking at that would fit the bill.
  • General web/youtube stuff
  • Some docker stuff, want to run steam cache and some other bits
  • Retropie
  • Plex
Cheers

Kimbie

Associate
Why would anyone want to install Linux hoping to have a windows like experience? The idea of installing Linux is to get away from Windows.

Just for general web stuff I would look at ROSA, otherwise Solus or Ubuntu Budgie are the best for a bit of every thing.

Man of Honour
I'd also suggest Linux Mint (Cinnamon version for better hardware or Mate version for slightly older hardware). I think Mint Cinnamon is a great start for new Linux users because it looks and feels a little like Windows. It let's you learn in a familiar environment. Once you're happy with the basics then you can customise it all you like or install another distro which is less Windows like.

The next version of Mint is expected to be released by the end of this month and will be based on rhe latest Ubuntu long term release which was released in April.

Man of Honour
Why would anyone want to install Linux hoping to have a windows like experience? The idea of installing Linux is to get away from Windows.

Just for general web stuff I would look at ROSA, otherwise Solus or Ubuntu Budgie are the best for a bit of every thing.

There can be many reasons, not all of them involve being less familiar with the UI just for the sake of it. I'm aware that the Windows UI is not by any means favoured by everyone.

To clarify, when I said Mint is more similar to Windows in look and feel, I meant just that. Not that it was a pro or con, just that it is that way.

Associate
To clarify, when I said Mint is more similar to Windows in look and feel, I meant just that. Not that it was a pro or con, just that it is that way.
Fair do's, if you want that thought you should really look at a distro with the Trinity desktop.

Associate
One of the bigger distros is a safe bet (Ubuntu (and its flavours, Xubuntu, Ubuntu Budgie, etc) Fedora, Debian, Manjaro, Antergos, etc).

For me, Xubuntu is pretty much my go to option, xfce + Arc dark theme looks great.

Soldato
Manjaro is my current favourite distro for development work. The packages are almost as up-to-date as Arch Linux without the massive pain in the bum that it requires to get an Arch Linux system up and running for the first time.

I'd suggest using the XFCE version of Manjaro. Very fast and easy to use (even when I use it in a virtual machine).

Associate
Manjaro is my current favourite distro for development work. The packages are almost as up-to-date as Arch Linux without the massive pain in the bum that it requires to get an Arch Linux system up and running for the first time.

I'd suggest using the XFCE version of Manjaro. Very fast and easy to use (even when I use it in a virtual machine).
This is also a good distro. Pacman is a great when you get used to it.

Associate
MX17 - its light, xfce based and runs from debian. I can run steam on it. I have also had good experiences with how compatible it is out of the box.

Associate
Late to the party, but Manjaro i3 is my current go to, the installer is very easy to use, and the rolling updates keep things nice and fresh, fastest OS / Window manager by miles (that I've used anyway) abandoned my Macbook Pro / MacOS and jumped to a Dell XPS 15 (9560) a year ago and haven't looked back (although I've been a Linux user since the late 90's so I know what I'm doing for the most part) :)

Soldato
You mean ubuntu with budgie as a desktop manager? 4k on linux is a bit of a landmine, what's your hardware?
Hey, just got a 4k monitor myself, interested in trying out Linux. What Distro will be best/easiest to setup with my display?

Been looking at Manjaro KDE and CentOS 7 but want to just get something that will work as out of the box as I can (at least initially until I know what im doing!)

Soldato
For Linux I normally stick with CentOS, mainly due to most Linux based servers I have to deal with being RedHat and they are essentially the same, I always go with the minimal install to get up and running and then add other bits I want.

Recently started playing with FreeBSD again which might be worth a look too, there is thread here talking about various BSD distros.

Soldato
At work we use RHEL, so thats why I was looking at CentOS. The main reason I am going to switch to Linux is to improve my own skills and get experience with it.

I installed Manjaro this morning and I really like it, nice and clean and I will use it as a base for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom