Two-thirds of drivers 'unaware of mobile penalties'

Man of Honour
In the same way you get retained firemen and "on call" rescue services like the RNLI, I'd like to be a part time motorway cop on my commute and other long motorway journeys. Just go about my day but have the ability to enforce these problems.

I generally don't see many people on phones on duty. I see loads as soon as I finish, it's really annoying.

Associate
Interesting. I'm sure last time I looked the official line on this was, "We don't want your dashcam footage as we don't have time to even review it". Wonder if it various from force to force.

Most of the time this is how it is - mainly because most dashcam footage is pointless from their perspective. You need clear footage of the incident, identification of who was driving as well as a willing to appear in court to prosecute. If you don't have all of these then they can't get anywhere.

Caporegime
I'd admit, it usually is a bit of a giveaway, although, it's amazing how many people seem to completely miss cars with battenberg, blue lights and a screaming siren.

Ha. Strangely true! I've seen both police and ambulances stuck behind cars for literally miles. Shame that the police normally have something more important to do otherwise is be pulling those idiots for driving without due care.

Soldato
I would be for a system, where drivers need to login to the car manufacturers app which interfaces with the car.
  1. When you log into the app, it allows you start the car with your key (therefore you still need your key).
  2. When logged into the app, it will redirect phone calls to voicemail, and lock it down so you can't "quickly fire up spotify" without pulling over first and switching the car off. It will be a ball ache but it will be fair. It means your passenger can't use your phone whilst you tell them what to do.
  3. Car play (Android and iPhone) exists so if you want fire up Spotify etc., you still can safely
  4. Obviously this won't work on legacy cars. e.g. a second hand Mondeo
  5. It will upset people, but will be a step in the right direction
  6. This technology is already used by Enterpise car club etc

Soldato
*RE-STARTING THREAD*

New plans https://www.gov.uk/government/news/any-use-of-hand-held-mobile-phone-while-driving-to-become-illegal

It is already illegal to text or make a phone call (other than in an emergency) using a hand-held device while driving. Next year, laws will go further to ban drivers from using their phones to take photos or videos, scroll through playlists or play games.

This will mean anyone caught using their hand-held device while driving will face a £200 fixed penalty notice and 6 points on their licence.

Drivers will still be able to continue using a device ‘hands-free’ while driving, such as a sat-nav, if it’s secured in a cradle. They must, however, always take responsibility for their driving and can be charged with an offence if the police find them not to be in proper control of their vehicle.

multiple bbc reports suggest scrolling play list when it is in a cradle would also be banned, but this govt doc doesn't say that,
obviously such a rule would overlap with inbuilt touch screen capability,
but you can always be charged with not in proper control related to attention on either devices.

Man of Honour
Being a cyclist the big change I've noticed with drivers since this thread started is that it's no longer putting a phone by their ear, it's that they're typing on social media. So when I was always saying you can buy a £5 bluetooth device that doesn't help when the idiot wants to type.

Man of Honour
I really don't get the desperate need to use a phone or make a call while driving - some exceptions aside. Probably 1 in 10 cars behind me I see them with a phone up to their ear or typing away on it at lights, etc.

Mine goes in my pocket on silent until the journey is over.

Man of Honour
but you can always be charged with not in proper control related to attention on either devices

Exactly! Doing these things is already, rightly, illegal. I'm not really sure I understand why we need multiple laws to criminalise the same behaviour.

It's already illegal to drive down the road whilst browsing a playlist on a handheld phone and rightly so.

Associate
if it was clear on what the rules are i think it might help get 'some' away from using it in their hands. If its mounted you can use it. obviously if you are writing long texts out or on social media this is not really acceptable, but sat nav and making calls etc are fine. Assuming you continue to drive in a safe manner that does not approach careless driving

Soldato
*RE-STARTING THREAD*

New plans https://www.gov.uk/government/news/any-use-of-hand-held-mobile-phone-while-driving-to-become-illegal

multiple bbc reports suggest scrolling play list when it is in a cradle would also be banned, but this govt doc doesn't say that,
obviously such a rule would overlap with inbuilt touch screen capability,
but you can always be charged with not in proper control related to attention on either devices.

Feels like you'd have been better off bumping this thread, which was already about these changes.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/dont-touch-that-phone.18902889/

Associate
What's the point of these new rules when there is nobody to catch them? I see more people than ever with their phones against their ear or texting so the law clearly doesn't work.
The whole point is for it to act as an incentive for them not to do it. I don't approve of my tax money being wasted on more police to keep us feeling like we're in prison... for such minor crimes.

Realistically speaking whether it's safe or not to use a phone whilst driving is entirely dependent on the person using it. Some people have bad sense of their surroundings and get distracted easily, others have great multi-tasking ability and constant awareness. You will see these people in your life... those that use their phones whilst driving yet still drive better than others who get distracted by not even their phone and start glitching out.

Soldato
I have never or will use a mobile whilst driving. The only exceptions have been when I’m stuck in traffic - not moved for 10 mins plus and going to work, got appt etc - I will ring to say I’m going to be late.

If my phone rings or get text alert when driving, I will respond when I have parked up and explain I was driving. If people don’t understand this - they are idiots. Perhaps question your friendship.

Texts, messages on WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger don’t self destruct if not read within 20 seconds of receiving it!

Back
Top Bottom