*** Official DCS World Thread ***

Soldato
And for me as well :) I really feared for its "third party" physics, and while ground handling is not as believable as the Su-25/A-10 etc, its still good - about Belsimtek's F-15C level. Suspension seems overdamped like on the F15... Still decent of course, but not as good as ED birds.

Once in the air, vertical and near vertical manoeuvres, reactions to rapid nozzle switches from vertical to horizontal etc made me completely infatuated with the Harrier. External camera replays look incredible in VR, it flies so lifelike! Puppy love :D

Also pleasantly surprised how easy its controls are and how easy it is to fly, even in VTOL modes.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
It is lovely to fly.
I really enjoyed the challenge of learning how to refuel and also carrier land at night. Both take some serious practice.

I grabbed a Gazelle last Thurs, which was actually really easy to pick up. I can now cold start it, fly it, hover it and use it's weapons. All of that is really straightforward. Need to learn the right use of the radios and navigation and we're good to go. After the Huey, feels like a Caterham, i.e. it's obviously much lighter, far more cramped and can be thrown around with utter abandon.

On Sun, added an NS 430 to my Mi8. Was dirt cheap, and I do intend to fly the Mi8 more, so seemed like a good idea.

Then bought myself a Mirage. Most definitely NOT dead easy to learn. The cold start is a good deal harder than most aircraft, mainly because of it's French quirkiness. Lovely to fly though and doesn't bleed energy anything like as badly as the F15.

Still working on my F18 landings. That's very much in my daily practice list and at least my ratio of reasonable landings is improving.

Soldato
Really undecided whether to pull the trigger on the harrier or not, although the price is good I keep wondering if I'd enjoy it or not.

Is there much cockpit management required? I like that

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The Harrier does have some, but it's not in the same league as the A10C.
That "might" change, but I'd be surprised if it's a dramatic update. IIRC, there was talk about potentially adding radar (maybe even air to ground), and expanding some of the weaponry options. The module is also not yet complete. That will almost certainly increase complexity.

If anything, the A10C is the best comparison to the Harrier, as both are basically close support aircraft. Key differences being:
- The Harrier can be used nearly anywhere. In game, that includes from a carrier or FARP, which clearly adds a new dimension to play. For one thing, you might want to learn carrier operations. Landing one at night onto a small carrier is quite a challenge
- The Harrier is much faster, but also burns fuel much quicker.
- The Harrier is a more capable aircraft in an A2A duel. Don't get me wrong, you shouldn't chose to get into A2A unless you need to. Right now you have no radar to find an enemy and only heat seeking missiles. It's also not got the energy capability of fighters in game. All the same, it's still better than the A10
- Similar weapon load options, although you can't carry as much on the Harrier. The only real difference being the lack of the GAU cannon, whilst it brings in the Sidearm anti-radar missile (which is "ok"). Again, that might change with additional new weapons for the Harrier.

The key thing is that the Harrier is unique in it's flight capabilities. If that interests you, then it's a good aircraft.

Soldato
bought it, not disappointed. Easy to learn the startup, and more so when you learn about the actual aircraft, not just what to do! Got caught out by the parking brake inhibiting throttle movement above idle for about 20 minutes ;)

Not had a massive amount of stovl experience yet, the quick start from cold starts you at 200ft which is interesting, and the other cold start option give you way too much fuel to start with, not had a chance to practice more.

Bit annoying about the bugs so far, anti col lights flash inside the cockpit when using VR, and the sidearm missiles refuse to work at all for me.

I'll get £26 worth out of it thats for sure, plus it lines me up for the F-18 in the Xmas sales.

Soldato
FFS I've just had a quick read of the forums, RAZBAM have got a mig-19 in the works too.

No point me buying other games, every time I think I've got a break someone releases a new module that gets me back in

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Good to hear you're enjoying the Harrier.

Ref the Sidearms, it's covered in some vids, but in short:
- Select in the stores page. IIRC it's the SA button, probably MFD button 4
- Point aircraft towards SAM site, which can be easily identified as it's on your RWR and also on your HUD, and probably dodge a couple on the way in
- Uncage the sidearm, such that the aiming reticule is a broken circle
- Fly what feels MUCH too close to the SAM site and as you get closer, the aiming reticule will automatically move downscreen and lock on the target
- Launch, get the hell out of dodge
Note that the missile has a pretty small warhead, so it's not going to destroy the SAM side. It is however capable of taking it out of action

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
And the south Atlantic map...
Have to say, that their roadmap sounds rather over ambitious. They're lined themselves up to deliver a LOT of new items. Unless they've massively increased their development teams, I can see them struggling, or taking ages to deliver quality finished items.
On a more positive note, I have both the Harrier and Mirage from them, and they're both excellent. Fingers crossed that they can deliver to the same quality again.

Soldato
They seems to be making progress though, but based on what they've said about fixing he harriers issues 'before the end of the year' it does leave me a bit worried. I've never seen an unfinished module on sale before I don't think

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
im hopeful that as the Atlantic map is a whole lot of sea we should be seeing it soon.

Couldn't agree more.
They're very much suggestion inclusion of some of the mainland and also the Falklands. I'm hoping that they'll give us something massive, like 1000*1000 miles, allowing some real carrier group/ship operations.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Sounds good, I will keep an eye on this thread. If you get time let me know :)

Will do.
I have a modified version of an Inferno mission, which allows the flying of pretty much every aircraft in game, and facilitates on the fly spawning of targets (ground, air and ship). That would be a good scenario to use for the setting. With the F18, we could try some carrier take off, formation and landing practice. Then possibly try out some air-air refueling and depending upon time, some simplistic air combat scenarios and ground pounding.

To make it happen, when I'm online (bit limited, but I'll be on) I'll run up a server that you'll be able to see in multi-player and will have a server name of Suk. For purely these purposes, I'll give the server a password of OCUK. When you're on, I'll advise in chat my Skype ID and we can take things forward from there.

For that matter, I'll create the server, allowing 4 persons to join, so if there's someone else here who also wishes to join, do feel free. My only expectation is that any other joiners are polite and are also happy to use Skype for voicecomms

Back
Top Bottom