Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Release Date 24/08/2018

Pre Order link

https://www.samsung.com/uk/smartphones/galaxy-note9/buy/

RMVo4Tw.jpg

• Body: Aluminum frame, Gorilla Glass 5 front and back; IP68 certified for water and dust resistance. Midnight Black, Coral Blue, Titanium Gray, Lilac Purple color schemes.
  • Display: 6.4" Super AMOLED 'Infinity Display', 2,960x1440px resolution, 18.5:9 (2.06:1) aspect ratio, 514ppi; HDR10 compliant (no Dolby Vision).
  • Rear camera: Primary 12MP, Type 1/2.55" sensor, f/1.5-2.4 aperture, 26mm equiv. focal length, dual pixel PDAF, OIS; Secondary 12MP, Type 1/3.4" sensor, f/2.4 aperture, 52mm equiv. focal length, autofocus, OIS; 2x zoom. 2160p/60fps, 1080p/240fps slow motion, 720p/960fps super slow-motion video recording.
  • Front camera: 8MP, f/1.7 aperture, autofocus; 1440p/30fps video recording.
  • OS/Software: Android 8.1 Oreo; Samsung Experience 9.0; Bixby virtual assistant; Smart Connect, Smart Connect Home
  • Chipsets: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845: octa-core CPU (4x2.7GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4x1.7GHz Kryo 385 Silver), Adreno 630 GPU. Exynos 9810: octa-core CPU (4x3rd-gen Mongoose 2.7GHz + 4xCortex-A55 1.8GHz), Mali-G72 MP18 GPU.
  • Memory: 6/8GB of RAM; 128/512GB of storage; microSD slot for cards up to 512GB.
  • Battery: 4,000mAh Li-Po (sealed); Adaptive Fast Charging (same as S7/S8/S9); QuickCharge 2.0 support; WPC(Qi)&PMA wireless charging.
  • Connectivity: Single-SIM, Dual-SIM available in certain markets (hybrid slot); LTE-A, 4-Band/5-Band carrier aggregation, Cat.18 (1.2Gbps/150Mbps); USB Type-C (v3.1); Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac MU-MIMO; GPS, GLONASS, Beidou, Galileo; NFC; Bluetooth 5.0.
  • Misc: Bluetooth-enabled S-Pen stylus with 4096 pressure levels and multimedia controls, Fingerprint/iris/face recognition; stereo speakers tune by AKG; 3.5mm jack; bundled AKG headphones; DeX dock compatibility.
W1AHAWJ.png

ZvaDbvj.png

m9dvJvk.png

*Getting in to down load mode

New way of getting into download mode. Power off, hold Volume Down + Bixby buttons and then connect a USB cable to PC to trigger it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm guessing it is going to be another phone with curved/bevelled/notched screen :( and all the other changes that make increasingly newer phones so meh - I mean I'm not against people who want those features and I'm fine if there are options with that but I don't see the advantages in it myself and the Note was previous one of the preserves of some of the more solid traditional features in respect to things like removable battery and a decent function over form screen.

Caporegime
I've got a Note 8 and the curve edges and slippiness annoy me, not to mention the fixed battery.

I preferred my beloved Note 4 in many ways. Ho hum, that's progress I guess.

Will keep an eye out for this and flip my 8 if it's any good.

Soldato
Yeah I can see where you're coming from regarding the curved screen. My S8+ is a few months old now and whilst the curved screen hasn't bothered me, apart from struggling to find a cheap tempered glass solution, it hasn't wowed me either. I miss my Note 4 terribly too :(

Man of Honour
I miss my Note 4 terribly too

TBH if they'd just fixed some of the odd glitches/possibility of eMMC failure and updated a few things there isn't really any reason to try and reinvent something beyond the Note 4 - bit better camera, some tweaks to the screen and a better SoC performance/thermals wise, better battery life and otherwise keep most of it as it is.

Soldato
TBH if they'd just fixed some of the odd glitches/possibility of eMMC failure and updated a few things there isn't really any reason to try and reinvent something beyond the Note 4 - bit better camera, some tweaks to the screen and a better SoC performance/thermals wise, better battery life and otherwise keep most of it as it is.
eMMC was my only real issue with the thing really - there was no running away from it. From day 1 the camera was outstanding even with Samsung's overly excessive sharpening algorithms. I never found my phone a hot beastie despite it's SoC having a reputation for it and that build quality was absolutely fantastic. After I upgraded to the 6P I gave the Note4 to my father who loved it and the stylus to bits. He's never been happy with his Moto G4 replacement :o

If they would allow a Note x to have a replaceable battery again they'd be onto a winner but because of IPxx ratings they'd rather keep it enclosed within.

Man of Honour
I've had mine running quite warm at times and occasionally become unstable due to it i.e. thinking the sim has been removed due to excessive heat in that area - and that is without taking any of the governors or thermal protection off - they seem to have made the phone work/stay stable by aggressively managing the SoC and thermals in software to fix what seems to be a less than ideal hardware implementation and I think a good number of the failures are due to people either removing them such as the one to enable longer 4K recording or using a 3rd party Android build that doesn't have them built in.

Caporegime
My Note 8 has been somewhat tedious since the Oreo update. Rumous are there will be three version of the S10 (new pricing tier here we come), wonder if they will do the same for the Note 9. A 4000mAh battery, Pixel grade camera, stereo speakers and under screen fingerprint scanner (gen 2) as a bonus please :D.

Soldato
OP
This is shaping up to be an S9+ with a bigger screen + battery and obv stylus.

Juicy stuff is coming next year on the Galaxy brands tenth anniversary.

S10 should give us a good clue on what to expect next August

I was hoping offload my Note 8 to my son but his phone died and he went and bought a S9+ :rolleyes:

Associate
It'll be a near enough spitting image of the Note 8 - Chassis has already been leaked to be near enough identical. Minor spec bump, camera from the S9, few more S-Pen features/gimmicks.

The technology has peaked. Until the 'next big thing', be it flexi displays, or whatever the next ground breaking thing is, we'll only ever see incremental, minor upgrades. How many times can you make an already fast phone faster before you stop noticing it? Personally coming from my S6 Edge + to my Note 8 last year, there is already very little in it. It's all getting a bit pointless.

The only reason for anyone to upgrade from a phone that's come out in the last 2 years, is for bragging rights IMO :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
LOL I am surprised it's 8.1 knowing Samsung, which probably means current flagships have taken a backseat in their own 8.1 update.

Damn, it certainly has peaked if they are offering 6GB of RAM. It's the same as the previous Note and S9+ (I think). I have just paid off my Note 8 a few months early, don't think I will have an itch to jump on the 9 at this rate.

Back
Top Bottom