• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6700k delidding and overclock?

Permabanned
Was going to build a new system but with high memory and GPU prices at the moment have just bought a used system for £750.
Spec:
  • MSi Gaming M5 Z170 Motherboard
  • MSi GTX970 Twin Frozr 4gb OC Graphics Card
  • Intel i7 6700K Processor
  • 16GB Crucial Ballistix 2666Mhz DDR4 RAM
  • Thermaltake Water 3.0 AIO Radiator
  • Crucial 750GB SSD
  • Samsung 1TB SSD
  • Corsair Obsidian 750D Full Tower Case
  • EVGA Supernova G2 550w Power Supply
My question is this..

Is the 6700k worth delidding? If so what sort of overclock could I expect with that processor, motherboard and ram?

Matt

Soldato
All CPUs are different, some will overclock great, others will be awful. I suggest you find out how far you can get your overclock now, based on temp and voltage, and then decide if it's worth pushing it further. As for delidding, if you use liquid metal on the die, it will most likely knock about 20c off of your load temps. Essentially, if you overclock now and your volts are still low but you can't go further because of temps, then I'd delid it. However, if the volts are already high, then delidding won't help with your overclock because you shouldn't be pushing the volts any further.

Associate
I had my 6700K delidded about 3 weeks ago. I was going to upgrade to a 8700k/Z370 but wanted to save some money. I paid ($30au) for a guy up the road from me to delid mine and couldn't be happier.

It's dropped about 8/10c at idle and about 25+ in gaming (was hitting the 80s before). I also clean out my dusty PC and reset the 6700K with some Cooler Master MasterGel Nano paste. Its now at 1.29v 4.5ghz, idle temps 28/33c and gaming 50/55c

I'm not the most seasoned overclocker but im very happy... i'll always get my cpu's delidded from now.

Permabanned
OP
Just picked up this PC so going to do an overclock later and see if I've been lucky with the silicon lottery and then go from there. If temps are high I'll delid and see what difference it makes on mine.

Matt

Permabanned
OP
I had my 6700K delidded about 3 weeks ago. I was going to upgrade to a 8700k/Z370 but wanted to save some money. I paid ($30au) for a guy up the road from me to delid mine and couldn't be happier.

It's dropped about 8/10c at idle and about 25+ in gaming (was hitting the 80s before). I also clean out my dusty PC and reset the 6700K with some Cooler Master MasterGel Nano paste. Its now at 1.29v 4.5ghz, idle temps 28/33c and gaming 50/55c

I'm not the most seasoned overclocker but im very happy... i'll always get my cpu's delidded from now.

Did you use liquid metal between the heatsink and chip?

Permabanned
OP
Just bought the delidding tool and decided on TG Aeronaut as it's not conductive and being my first time delidding didn't want to break it. What's the best method to apply this under the heatsink and on top?

Matt

Permabanned
OP
Just been watching some YouTube on delidding and seems any normal paste won't be anywhere near as good as liquid metal, despite what the lad said in overclockers as I was asking advice and rhen bought it :(

Soldato
Just been watching some YouTube on delidding and seems any normal paste won't be anywhere near as good as liquid metal, despite what the lad said in overclockers as I was asking advice and rhen bought it :(
Generally if you're going to the trouble/risk of a delid it's worth using liquid metal to get the most benefit. You can use paste but you won't get as good a change, and might need to replenish it sooner. But less risk, so swings and roundabouts. You can always try it and see if you're happy with temperatures.

In terms of application, for liquid metal put a thin layer on both components. You can seal exposed surface mount parts and test pads with nail polish I'd you're worried about shorting them out.

For paste, use the same method as you'd be comfortable using for a CPU to heatsink application. Try to ensure you don't leave any exposed die without paste though.

Back
Top Bottom