spec me a oled or qled

Associate
With that budget I would just go 65" personally, with movies you want immersion and for me the bigger the better.

The Sony A1 and AF8 are top of the line and would be great, these tvs are best for motion processing so fast action sports.

Personally I would look to buy the 65POS9603 by Phillips but can not seem to find it anywhere, they do have the 55POS9002 which is only 55" but it comes with built in ambi light which also adds to immersion.

How is your sound setup? if you are just using TV sound I would go with a 65" LG B7 and add either a top end sound bar or sound system.

Soldato
my room is very light during day due to 2 skylights but I very rarely play games or watch movies before 8-9 pm
Since you only really use it after 8pm, I would suggest any of the LG OLED line-up, due to the infinity better picture it will give you at night time over QLED's.

Caporegime
Sony AF8 game lag is pretty bad at 1080p - just in case you happen to have an Xbox One S/Switch/PS4 standard

Personally I would do what Wez68 said and get the 65C8 OLED. I've got the 2016 model (LG65B6) and haven't had any issues with image retention or Burn in and I play A LOT of games on it and it's fantastic for movies and games so the C8 should be even better with tone mapped HDR, better motion, better grey uniformity and less 'Dirty Screen effect' (DSE) etc etc.

Associate
OP
LG 55" c7 owner here and happy to report no issues with image retention. Looks superb in 4k Game Mode with HDR on Xbox one X and there is no input lag.

Shawrey
doesn't the screen dim in game mode after the update ? sure I've read somewhere thats the case and a lot of owners are not happy.

Anyone found a review or own the Panasonic
TX55FZ802B

Caporegime
All OLEDs have some form of ABL (automatic brightness limiter). A final firmware update is due soon to make the Game HDR mode brighter but it's not an issue on 2018 sets anyway

From what I understand, the C8 has the least aggressive ABL of the 2018 panels...

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8

Good SDR peak brightness on the LG OLED C8, almost identical to last year's C7. Real scene brightness is bright enough for most rooms. Highlights do not stand out in SDR. The TV remains consistent at ~350 cd/m² except when showing a large bright scene, like our 100% test window, where the screen dims significantly due to the Automatic Brightness Limiter(ABL).

With an 'OLED Light' setting of 40 or less, the fluctuations between scenes due to ABL drops to 20 cd/m² or less.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a8f

Good peak brightness with SDR content. Screen brightness varies depending on the content on screen due to the TV's ABL. The LG C8 is slightly brighter in most scenes due to the less aggressive ABL.

Edit - Since your budget easily stretches to a 65" OLED (and then some) I think you would be mad to go for a 55" :)

Caporegime
I notice it occasionally on my 2016 B6

Horizon Zero dawn on PS4 Pro, when you look at white snow and then pan the camera upwards for instance.

It doesn't actually affect enjoyment or ability to see.

Back
Top Bottom