Fuji X Series

Associate
ethan the X-T3 is not going to have IBIS, nor will the crop sensor, no matter how new, outperform a full frame one where it matters like in low light. Not to mention Sony Eye-AF is several generations ahead of Fuji. Add to that, it will still use the same old weak battery as the X-T2.

At some point you have to be a little realistic. :)

Is it confirmed that it wont have IBIS? Is it confirmed it's using he same battery?

Caporegime
Is it confirmed that it wont have IBIS? Is it confirmed it's using he same battery?
Officially confirmed, no, but we are now reasonably close to the announcement and all of Fujirumors sources are consistently saying it has no IBIS and the same battery (code name is the same) with 'battery performance improvements'. This late in the development and release cycle it extremely likely that the X-T3 has no IBIS and the same battery.

Caporegime
Logic dictates they have started a new line with the X-H1, with a new body shape so X-T series will stay where it's at.

I'd wait for the next X-H2, which thinking back, they ought to have really made the X-H1 to be FF if they want to complete with the Sony Alpha series.
Fuji have said multiple times they are not doing FF, only crop and medium format.

It's a shame because the X-H1 was Fuji's chance to implement a bigger battery, but Fuji being the conservative, risk-averse company they are they decided to make it as easy possible for someone who owns an existing camera to upgrade by keeping the same battery. On a camera that was designed with a focus on video that was just a poor and short-sighted decision.

Fuji have really dropped the ball and their conservatism will cost them a lot of sales as people continue to migrate to the systems that don't make these kinds of compromises. The Sony A7III was basically every competitors worst nightmare, and Fuji really needed to up their game with the X-T3. Sadly, it doesn't look like they have.

Caporegime
Fuji have said multiple times they are not doing FF, only crop and medium format.

It's a shame because the X-H1 was Fuji's chance to implement a bigger battery, but Fuji being the conservative, risk-averse company they are they decided to make it as easy possible for someone who owns an existing camera to upgrade by keeping the same battery. On a camera that was designed with a focus on video that was just a poor and short-sighted decision.

Fuji have really dropped the ball and their conservatism will cost them a lot of sales as people continue to migrate to the systems that don't make these kinds of compromises. The Sony A7III was basically every competitors worst nightmare, and Fuji really needed to up their game with the X-T3. Sadly, it doesn't look like they have.

Had they released that 6 months earlier I think they would've been fine, but Sony moves things on so fast it really is hard to other people to keep up!

Soldato
Logic dictates they have started a new line with the X-H1, with a new body shape so X-T series will stay where it's at.

I'd wait for the next X-H2, which thinking back, they ought to have really made the X-H1 to be FF if they want to complete with the Sony Alpha series.

Yeah, it makes sense that IBIS is going to be the feature of the X-H1 line. Fuji holds up well against the Sony alpha offerings such as the A6500. I don't see FF as a direct competitor, cost and size put them in different market segments.

Battery life is fine on the X-T2. Sure I'd like more but it's such a non-issue in reality.

All I'm interested in is the rumour of a stacked sensor for the X-T3, it's highly unlikely for sure but I'd likely sell all my Sony and Canon gear if it does (and performs well with it obviously!).

Caporegime
I don't see FF as a direct competitor, cost and size put them in different market segments.

That may have been true before the A7III was released, but not now. The A7III is essentially in another higher tier of overall performance and costs only around 15% more than the X-H1 and that makes it a competitor, evidenced by the amount of people I see switching from Fuji to Sony on forums and Facebook groups. Plus, I believe the A7III is actually smaller and lighter than the X-H1, so size is not an issue.

Battery life is fine on the X-T2. Sure I'd like more but it's such a non-issue in reality.

Battery life is important to most people and Fuji battery life is frequently complained about by the userbase.

Soldato
That may have been true before the A7III was released, but not now. The A7III is essentially in another higher tier of overall performance and costs only around 15% more than the X-H1 and that makes it a competitor, evidenced by the amount of people I see switching from Fuji to Sony on forums and Facebook groups. Plus, I believe the A7III is actually smaller and lighter than the X-H1, so size is not an issue.

Battery life is important to most people and Fuji battery life is frequently complained about by the userbase.

No, it's about the camera system not a single camera body. You only have to use both to understand that.

Even with similar systems crop doesn't directly compete with FF, a 7D2 doesn't go up against a D750. Different uses, different requirements.

Battery life is fine, evidenced by the community at large. It's only the new users coming from DSLR where they're used to the battery lasting days that complain.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No, it's about the camera system not a single camera body. You only have to use both to understand that.

I had first a Fuji X-E2 then X-T2 so am more than qualified to compare. The real world size difference from my X-T2, lenses included, is not significant. Full frame f1.8 lenses are basically the same size and weight range as the Fuji f1.2/f1.4 lenses (the f2 Fuji lenses were good for travel but not the best for image quality so I didn't use them much). Size has often been cited as a reason between crop and full frame, it is a matter of immutable physics and even on crop lenses a high aperture means bigger lenses.

Battery life is fine, evidenced by the community at large. It's only the new users coming from DSLR where they're used to the battery lasting days that complain.

The battery life on Fuji sucks, plain and simple, I usually needed 2 or 3 to make it through a day. It was the same with Sony before they brought out their new Z battery... now I can use one all day and usually have juice to spare.

Soldato
I had first a Fuji X-E2 then X-T2 so am more than qualified to compare. The real world size difference from my X-T2, lenses included, is not significant. Full frame f1.8 lenses are basically the same size and weight range as the Fuji f1.2/f1.4 lenses (the f2 Fuji lenses were good for travel but not the best for image quality so I didn't use them much). Size has often been cited as a reason between crop and full frame, it is a matter of immutable physics and even on crop lenses a high aperture means bigger lenses.

The battery life on Fuji sucks, plain and simple, I usually needed 2 or 3 to make it through a day. It was the same with Sony before they brought out their new Z battery... now I can use one all day and usually have juice to spare.

Our experiences massively differ, my A9 will use 2 batteries throughout a day (as shown by others shooting all day for weddings/motorsports) and my X-T2 will get through 3... We've been round and round with this before. Our experiences differ.

My Fuji bag is lighter than my Sony bag, and I get more in the Fuji bag. The only reason I'll maybe stick with Sony is because of the stacked sensor on the A9. For size and enjoyment of use I'll stick with Fuji, for FF and cost I'll stick with Canon. I really do like the A9 though, even with its lifeless mushy shutter button. I have zero interest in the A7III.

Caporegime
If you dislike Fuji's X system why are you bothering here, just move along and go to the Sony thread.
I don't "dislike" Fuji, I am just comfortable talking objectively and candidly about what I perceive as their weaknesses from the perspective of someone who has used them reasonably extensively. I have zero emotional attachment to any system and would be ready to switch from Sony to something in else in future, even back to Fuji, if it better fit my needs.

+1. He talks so much junk when it comes to photography. Argumentative for the sake of it, and very opinionated.

Really, all this "junk" I talk? I would love to see references to where you think I intentionally make things up. I would guess that this "junk" you vaguely refer to happens more to be stuff about your favourite photographical company you just just don't agree with and as a result throw your toys out of the pram.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't "dislike it", I am just comfortable talking objectively about its weaknesses from the perspective of someone who used them extensively.

I'm pretty sure most of the things you have said, would put you in the category of not liking the product, due to it being inferior in pretty much every way to your new Sony gear. Why would you "like" something that is worse than other products you can buy, and indeed actually own? You said it yourself, you owned Fuji gear, and sold it to get "better" gear that you "like" more.

Seems a bit of a waste of time to be in here, talking about it and telling other why "you" chose to move to Sony, so you've said what you have to say, you don't own X gear, and so until something new comes out and you change your mind again, why waste any more of your time telling people about how many people are going to move away from this stale old system? :)

Soldato
Straight out of camera Sony jpegs often look so dull and ordinary compared with Fuji and their profiles. You feel like every image must be edited in raw to achieve anything remotely interesting unless you're shooting in perfect conditions. You really have to be comfortable at editing to get the best out of them. This isn't a problem for most people, but if you just want to share a few quick shots it's a pita. Technology wise the Sonys are great, but I can't help feeling you're shooting with something that's a bit lifeless. As a pro, I can see why Fuji wouldn't be used, however as an amateur wanting creativity, can't see any concern.

Associate
Straight out of camera Sony jpegs often look so dull and ordinary compared with Fuji and their profiles. You feel like every image must be edited in raw to achieve anything remotely interesting unless you're shooting in perfect conditions. You really have to be comfortable at editing to get the best out of them. This isn't a problem for most people, but if you just want to share a few quick shots it's a pita. Technology wise the Sonys are great, but I can't help feeling you're shooting with something that's a bit lifeless. As a pro, I can see why Fuji wouldn't be used, however as an amateur wanting creativity, can't see any concern.

That's nail/head for me. Couldn't really care what I shoot with, or honestly, what its technical performance is- even less so its performance compared to other systems. As long as it's satisfies my creative urges and is rewarding to use. Fuji is that for me- I like what I see in the viewfinder, and very rarely muck around with what's output on the SD card. Might be a different system next year, but nothing tempts me right now.

[EDIT] Except maybe an X-E3 to replace the E2, purely for the Bluetooth background transfer.

Associate
I don't "dislike" Fuji, I am just comfortable talking objectively and candidly about what I perceive as their weaknesses from the perspective of someone who has used them reasonably extensively. I have zero emotional attachment to any system and would be ready to switch from Sony to something in else in future, even back to Fuji, if it better fit my needs.

Really, all this "junk" I talk? I would love to see references to where you think I intentionally make things up. I would guess that this "junk" you vaguely refer to happens more to be stuff about your favourite photographical company you just just don't agree with and as a result throw your toys out of the pram.

Do I honestly have to point out your trash talk ? Are you truly that oblivious to your faults ? Nearly every post you've made in this forum has an elitist, confrontational or belligerent undertone. You're that person who always has to get the last word in. The photography forum on this site has become a virtual ghost town - and you're partly to blame for that. Not many can be bothered debating or conversing with you. Also, don't assume you know anything about my preferences for camera gear - I own, and use, three different cameras only one of which belongs to the Fuji X system. Be happy with your Sony gear, accept others may have different opinions to your own and move on.

Soldato
I've had my Fuji xt-2 since Christmas. I got a 10-24mm and this week bought the 55-200mm all for landscape work.

Really new to photography but was drawn to the Fuji as the dials on top are superb. Really clocked with it and after 10 mins finally understood apertures, shutter and iso. LCD is awesome for getting a proper view in manual mode.

I bought a gitzo tripod and a benro geared head. Much better than my baba head and aluminium manfrotto tripod.

Back
Top Bottom