Need a new router

Associate
Hi all,

A
I have fiber broadband with Plusnet, I am experiencing high latency and dropouts, they tell me it's the router,

Need a router that capable of pushing WiFi across a large bungalow plus will handle the massive data flow that my kids use lol

I have a max price of around £200

Looking forward to you advise

Soldato
Hi all,

A
I have fiber broadband with Plusnet, I am experiencing high latency and dropouts, they tell me it's the router,

That does sound like a standard copout from and ISP's tech support that wants to get rid of you. You also don't mention if this problem happens only with wi-fi or with wire connections, or what you are using now.

Soldato
Your symptoms match having a saturated upload as well. Do the kids torrent at all? Any way to analyse your bandwidth usage before spending money potentially unnecessarily?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply's

My kids do use utorrents but i switch it off when am gaming online, i find the online games stop for about 20 secs and the play catchup

the isp says the router cant handle the throughput as i am a high user, i now have the standard plus net router its a sagemcom cs 50001 (the new one in white)

and I am one a wired connection also hangs on youtube.

here is a snapshot of the connection on friday when i last played

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broa...15ea42c981c9d6252132c0bafb6bedb296-29-06-2018

Associate
Openreach HG612 £20 on ebay
Ubiquiti Edgerouter X £50
UniFi AC LR AP £100

Enable Smart Queue QoS on the Edgerouter and your latency problems should disappear.

Associate
OP
Openreach HG612 £20 on ebay
Ubiquiti Edgerouter X £50
UniFi AC LR AP £100

Enable Smart Queue QoS on the Edgerouter and your latency problems should disappear.

I have a openreach hg612 in the garage from when i was on BT with a home hub 3

I would like to know if i bought a Ubiquiti Edgerouter and my wired network goes like this

.................................................................../ { netgear switch - TV1 - netgear switch2 - 2 x TV's}
line in - openreach hg612 - Ubiquiti Edgeroute -
...................................................................\ { to 2 pc's}

would that still work with the Qos or would it mess things up

Soldato
That would be fine. You forgot the Wifi AP though? The ER-X is a Router/Switch combi unit it has no WiFi function.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hi all,

A

Need a router that capable of pushing WiFi across a large bungalow plus will handle the massive data flow that my kids use lol

I have a max price of around £200

Looking forward to you advise
what meg is your bb ? as I'm going plusnet in the next couple of days ? and hope it's not going to be a horror story

Associate
what meg is your bb ? as I'm going plusnet in the next couple of days ? and hope it's not going to be a horror story

I have been with plusnet for about 8 months and no issues at all to report speeds are 75Mbps download and 18Mbps upload from speedtest.net so pretty decent from a 80/20 package with plusnet.

Back
Top Bottom