Samsung 850 Evo dead?

Associate
Last night I was organising the thousands of photos I have on my PC. I nip downstairs for a drink and on my return, windows 10 is in some diagnostic mode and then reboots. From that point onwards I cannot get into windows for any period of time.
After rebooting, I get into windows for at the most 2 minutes, the HD light then goes solid, and the PC freezes. Then screen goes black. When I restart, the SSD is missing from Bios.
Turn machine off at the wall, turn it back on again and boots up fine, I get 1-2 minutes and rinse and repeat. Safe mode, system restore, etc. all do the same. It looks promising but after a short while, HD light stays on and everything locks up.

Does that sound like a failed SSD?
Its on a PC that's used about twice a week and the EVO is not that old. Feb 2016 in fact.

I assumed temperature issues, due to how warm it was last night, but bios is reporting all good. I took side of case off and ramped fans up to full. Still the same.
I have disconnected all the other drives, usb devices etc. Tried to use Acronis TrueImage from a USB stick and the process looks like its going to start, then locks up with a solid HD light. Which I assume would rule out a windows problem, so its the drive, or something more tricky to diagnose such as MB, RAM etc.

Its frustrating that during the short period I can get in, the drive has all my files and I can navigate through windows explorer as normal. Then bang. It stops as if someone has turned a switch.

Ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

Last edited:
Soldato
First thing I would try is to replace the sata cable and try a different sata port.

can you connect the SSD to another PC and access it as a second drive?

Associate
OP
Tried different cable and port. No change.
Going to clone a backup to a spare drive and connect the SSD as a second drive.
I find it odd that it would boot at all if it was beyond fixing.
Is a firmware update worth a try.?

Associate
OP
Well, got a cloned drive to boot the system into an old windows 7 install. Attached the SSD and it showed up. Got excited!!
Tried to access it and it disappeared again. If I restart the system, the drive never re-appears. If I turn off the system, wait, and turn it back on, the drive appears again, only to disappear a short while after. Its like its losing power. Ruled out power supply as the 10 year old drive attached uses a lot more :p
Makes no sense to me but I have now run out of talent and ideas. 28 months old. Time for an RMA

Associate
OP
Connect it via a usb enclosure. You won't need to reboot each time it takes over.

Also, why isn't it backed up?

Install Veeam Endpoint, it's free!

Its backed up, well most of it !! I have lost nothing important fortunately. I run a 2nd drive for important stuff.
2 different usb enclosures tried and the pc recognizes neither with the EVO in. Tried other drives I have lying around, (Including a Verbitim SSD which I know is dying) and they are recognised fine.
Used the ultimate boot cd as a final attempt to see what's going on and rule out windows completely.
Drive was seen in the HDD diagnostics software. So far so good. As soon as it starts to access the drive however, the HDD light becomes permanently on, not even flickering.
After a few seconds, the light goes out, software throws an error, and the drive is no longer detected by the diagnostic software or BIOS.
Wait a few minutes, reboot, rinse and repeat.

Its packed up ready for collection.

FWIW, The RMA has been a really simple process with Samsung. RMA forms and pre-paid carriage labels sent via email.
DHL are collecting today.

Thanks for the heads up on the software :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I recently sent off the same drive due to ever increasing CRC errors. Easy to do, all paid for and collection also arranged.

Associate
OP
So, I was not going mad. The drive was indeed faulty.
RMA process was great. DHL called to advise when they were collecting. Samsung then emailed me when they received it. Emailed me again once it had gone for RMA, and emailed again the result of inspection (SWAP).
Was expecting a refurb 850, but they have instead sent a brand new EVO 860. Its just arrived.

Well chuffed. Well done Samsung.

Soldato
So, I was not going mad. The drive was indeed faulty.
RMA process was great. DHL called to advise when they were collecting. Samsung then emailed me when they received it. Emailed me again once it had gone for RMA, and emailed again the result of inspection (SWAP).
Was expecting a refurb 850, but they have instead sent a brand new EVO 860. Its just arrived.

Well chuffed. Well done Samsung.
They are good, they managed to repair my ssd so I got the same one back but still a good service and did not cost me a penny

Back
Top Bottom