PS4 - updates "Copying.."

Associate
I've just updated BF1 took about about 5 mins to download the 5gig update then it took another 15-20 mins of it saying " Copying..." before it had actually finished. Is this "Copying" a new thing? And does anyone know why it takes so long?

Soldato
I looked this up the other day as it was doing my head in. PS4 makes a copy of the game with the update installed which apparently means your game won't be borked if you get a power cut or something.

Associate
OP
Destiny 2 seems to do that with me, other games seems faster. I don't know if its overwriting existing files? Its a pain though.

Yea, I've noticed for example fortnite update finished a lot faster then the BF1 update.

I'm guessing here but the pc analogy would be decompressing heavily compressed files.

That was what I was thinking, but it still shouldn't be that slow at decompressing small ish updates.

I looked this up the other day as it was doing my head in. PS4 makes a copy of the game with the update installed which apparently means your game won't be borked if you get a power cut or something.

That would explain why the larger games take long then. As jpm said its a pain.

After reading some more they seem to have added it in firmware 5.0, I know it use to do "preparing to update" at the start of the update and they've changed it to "copying" at the end now. Hopefully in one of the next firmware updates they might be able to speed it up.

Appreciate the responses.

Soldato
It annoys me because I have my PS4 set to auto update and sometimes it doesn't do it in standby. So I want to play a game and have to wait for the update to install :mad:

Soldato
It annoys me because I have my PS4 set to auto update and sometimes it doesn't do it in standby. So I want to play a game and have to wait for the update to install :mad:

The console usually checks for updates in the early hours of the morning, so if an update comes out at say, 10am, it won't get it until the following night. It won't download updates for games that haven't been played in a while either.

Back
Top Bottom