Phanteks Enthoo Pro M - Reset switch?

Soldato
I may be being a total noob here (again!), but when I built my new system, I couldn't for the life of me find the reset connector/header in this case. I traced the wires from the reset switch, and they seem to go up to the compartment with the power switch, but I can't see where the header comes out.

I have headers for the PW_switch (thankfully!), HDD light and front panel audio, but I can't find the reset switch anywhere.

I guess this is not essential, but I'd like to be able to connect it if I can. Has anyone else had this problem? I've seen some other reports on other forums after Googling it, but I didn't find any solution that's helped me.

Associate
I also own the enthoo pro m (acrylic) and had no issue at all

have you checked for it where the front usb ones are? since the reset switch is on the side with them and not where the power switch is

Soldato
OP
I also own the enthoo pro m (acrylic) and had no issue at all

have you checked for it where the front usb ones are? since the reset switch is on the side with them and not where the power switch is

Yep. I got the front USB connectors no problem. There is a PW_switch with these, but no reset!

Since you have one on yours though, I'll have another dig around!

Associate
Yep. I got the front USB connectors no problem. There is a PW_switch with these, but no reset!

Since you have one on yours though, I'll have another dig around!

a quick google shows that its sometimes a case of mislabelled wires..

you should have "power LED +" "power LED -" "power SW" "HDD LED" and "Reset SW"

what some people are reporting is they have 2 HDD LED wires but no reset sw, if thats the case with yours you will need to test each one in the reset sw port and see if your reset switch works

Soldato
OP
a quick google shows that its sometimes a case of mislabelled wires..

you should have "power LED +" "power LED -" "power SW" "HDD LED" and "Reset SW"

what some people are reporting is they have 2 HDD LED wires but no reset sw, if thats the case with yours you will need to test each one in the reset sw port and see if your reset switch works

Hey, thanks for looking, mate.

I didn't see that one, but unfortunately it doesn't help me. I only have one HDD LED connector, and that is working as expected.

I just took off the side and front panels and tried to trace the connections.

There IS a connection (two wires) coming from the reset switch on the front panel, but they, along with the other connectors from the side of the front panel, go up into the top panel, where the power switch is.

BUT... three connectors go up (HDD_LED, reset (presumably), and HDD audio). Added to the PW_sw connector, that would be four, BUT whilst four do come down, one is a connector the like of which I've not seen before that has a sticker on it saying "only use with Phanteks Lighting Strips" (or something similar) (definitely not a mobo front panel connector anyway).

I may have to take off the top panel to see what happens to the reset switch up there, so I hope that's straightforward.

I mean I guess no one NEEDS a reset switch, but it is pretty convenient to have one when you do need it.

Associate
i dont mean to insult you but are you sure you have the enthoo pro m?
because the layout you explain with the wires and the extra wire for lighting strips is nothing like what i have
you also mention taking off the top panel, if you mean the top section of the case, thats not possible as its part of the chassis

the wires i have that are attached to the area where the reset switch is, all go off straight to the mobo
the wire thats connected to the reset switch has 2 connectors (HDD LED and reset sw)

then i have the one wire coming from the power switch that leads to 3 connectors (pw led +, pw led -, power sw)

i have no wires for lighting as the enthoo pro m doesnt come with stock lighting
if you do indeed have the enthoo pro m then i think something has gone very wrong at the factory lol

Soldato
OP
i dont mean to insult you but are you sure you have the enthoo pro m?
because the layout you explain with the wires and the extra wire for lighting strips is nothing like what i have
you also mention taking off the top panel, if you mean the top section of the case, thats not possible as its part of the chassis

the wires i have that are attached to the area where the reset switch is, all go off straight to the mobo
the wire thats connected to the reset switch has 2 connectors (HDD LED and reset sw)

then i have the one wire coming from the power switch that leads to 3 connectors (pw led +, pw led -, power sw)

i have no wires for lighting as the enthoo pro m doesnt come with stock lighting
if you do indeed have the enthoo pro m then i think something has gone very wrong at the factory lol

Well, it says Enthoo Pro M on the box, and it does look like how I'd expect and matches picture on the web.

I'm adding some pictures to illustrate:
2018-07-08%2014.28.28.jpg

Here you can see the wires that have come from the front panel connector as they thread to the section behind the motherboard tray.

Discounting the thicker leads (which are two USB and the front panel audio), you can see one set of two wires goes up to the top where the power switch is, and another (the HDD LED connector, which works as expected) is guided round with the USB connections.

Now here we can see the leads coming down from the top panel:
2018-07-08%2014.29.29.jpg

There are three coming down. One is the power switch, one is labelled 12v supply (it ends in a SATA-type connector, no idea what that is), and the third a set of four joined wires (this is the one with the attached note about connecting it to a Phanteks Lighting Strip.

So... where did the reset switch wiring go? I'm thinking it's those wires that go up to the top from the front pane, but don't come back down again, but I don't know.

(I had it a bit wrong before as I was working from memory, and thought the HDD LED connector went up to the top panel and came back down again, but it actually follows the USB leads around the back).

When I was talking about removing the top, I was thinking it looks like it should come off if I undo these screws at the top (I seem to have cut the right-hand one out of the shot, but there are another set in the same place at the back):
2018-07-08%2014.31.13.jpg

Bit nervous about removing the top, though, in case I damage the power switch wiring...

Associate
this is very odd indeed, as i said i only have 1 wire coming from the power switch..

it really does seem like youve had the wrong wires fitted at the factory or something
all i could really suggest now is that you contact phanteks and see what they say about it

however if it was me, it would be one of those things that just bugged me so i would have to remove that top part where the power switch is and have a good look inside

Soldato
OP
this is very odd indeed, as i said i only have 1 wire coming from the power switch..

it really does seem like youve had the wrong wires fitted at the factory or something
all i could really suggest now is that you contact phanteks and see what they say about it

however if it was me, it would be one of those things that just bugged me so i would have to remove that top part where the power switch is and have a good look inside

Yeah, it IS bugging me! :)

Thanks for your input on this. Interesting to know that yours is wired up so differently. I may need to drum up the courage to see if I can remove the top panel and see what's going on in there...

Soldato
Have you got the RGB version of the case?

If so, it has a RGB controller instead of a reset switch.

EDIT

Maybe not as that has a white motherboard tray.

Wonder if they put the wrong wires in by mistake....

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Have you got the RGB version of the case?

If so, it has a RGB controller instead of a reset switch.

EDIT

Maybe not as that has a white motherboard tray.

Wonder if they put the wrong wires in by mistake....

this would actually explain it, while it looks the same one the outside the wiring is different and the reset button is used to controlled the RGB lighting

heres the manual for that one just for reference : http://www.phanteks.com/assets/manuals/PH-ES515PTG_Western.pdf

Ah yes, that does look like that's the most likely explanation. I didn't see any reference to lighting strips in my manual or in any reviews of this case, but the RGB edition does come with a lighting strip I notice.

Thanks. Nice detective work!

I guess I'll just live without a reset switch then. As I say, I guess I don't NEED one anyway, and I can always use the power switch to power off and back on in the event I need to reset.

At least I can stop thinking about this now! :)

Associate
Glad we got this solved!

good thing freddie came along though because i didnt even know about the RGB edition :rolleyes:

Soldato
Glad i could help. :)

I got the TG version of this case just before the RGB one came out and remembered reading about that very button.

Strange though that all pictures i have seen shows a white motherboard tray, that is why i had my doubts about which version you have.

I suppose you could buy a reset button and mount it to the case somewhere.

Associate
Well, not exactly solved - I still don't have a reset switch! ;)

But yeah, it's good to know I'm not going mad and can lay this to rest! :D

well yeah i meant we found out what the issue was and why you dont have the reset wire :p

just stick with holding the power button to turn off + press again to restart, only takes a few seconds more

Associate
this: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31938268 i've got the same wires - first thing i checked.

yeah, i just got the standard case (acrylic window) with the 'funny' wiring: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33055081 Didn't notice this thread until today (after ordering) and i do like the look of the case so i'll start the build - hopefully the lack of a reset button won't inconvenience things too much. I understand you can hold the power button for a few seconds which will reset the system?

ps, did anyone with the funny case wiring contact Phantek and, if so, did they provide a workaround for a reset switch that works as a reset switch, maybe some cable that can be added?

also, thanks for this thread - saved me quite a bit of time trying to work things out and looking for a non existent reset cable :rolleyes:

So, if you're thinking of getting this case, and it's a nice case, be aware you may get the 'funny' (rgb) wiring. Problem seems pretty widespread on google :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
this: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31938268 i've got the same wires - first thing i checked.

yeah, i just got the standard case (acrylic window) with the 'funny' wiring: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33055081 Didn't notice this thread until today (after ordering) and i do like the look of the case so i'll start the build - hopefully the lack of a reset button won't inconvenience things too much. I understand you can hold the power button for a few seconds which will reset the system?

ps, did anyone with the funny case wiring contact Phantek and, if so, did they provide a workaround for a reset switch that works as a reset switch, maybe some cable that can be added?

also, thanks for this thread - saved me quite a bit of time trying to work things out and looking for a non existent reset cable :rolleyes:

So, if you're thinking of getting this case, and it's a nice case, be aware you may get the 'funny' (rgb) wiring. Problem seems pretty widespread on google :rolleyes:

Yeah, this still annoys me a little bit, tbh. I never did bother trying to find a way to sort it out, though. Guess it's not quite enough of an inconvenience...

Associate
Hi,
I got one of these cases recently and was annoyed it had no reset switch.
I asked Phanteks what was going on and they seemingly couldn't care less:

“Some of our cases get silent updates for the better and we have not updated the old manuals. Some retailers may have old stock.

It is not possible to use the switch as a reset switch. If you wish to have a PC case with a reset button, I am afraid you would need to follow the RMA procedure of the retailer and check for another case. Current Enthoo Pro M (TG) SE are mostly updated with the RGB LED board which replaced the reset button.

Phanteks team”

Charming lol…

Anyway, in spite of Phantek’s misinformation, I now do have that reset switch hooked up, and a bonus switch for changing the RGB on the button.

It is indeed possible to take the top off, pretty easily; it doesn't fall to bits.

Here is what is under it…

uc

uc

That first double connector “LED SW” is what comes from the reset button and switches the LED.

You can just pull it out and cut that off and wire it to a normal motherboard connector for a reset switch and that will work.

I decided to get a connector for that instead so I didn't need to cut anything off.

It's a "JST 2.0 PH 2 Pin Male & Female Connector Plug"

I got one of these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223896387374

uc

And one of these to connect to the motherboard:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352802511892

uc

The motherboard connector wire I got was in a bundle and two parts have a switch on the end. I thought I may as well use that to connect to the LED switch and have it in the case so I can change the LED colour etc.

I pealed off the reset switch cable from that grouped-together set.

Measured the length of wire needed from the motherboard connector and cut it.

Soldered together the JST connector to the switch I just cut off the other wire. Plugged it in. It works fine.

Then soldered together the motherboard connector wire and the little JST connector. Melted it in the process so be careful if you decide to do this.

Plugged that into the reset switch and the motherboard.

uc

Job done.

Hope this helps someone with the same problem. I don’t care about RGB at all, and I don’t really NEED a reset switch, but a switch without a purpose is like a dog without a bark, or a cat without a meow.

Oh yeah, that SATA connector that comes out from that block by the power switch; that is the power for the power switch LED in case you didn’t know; I didn’t. Not sure if you could cut that off and attach it to the motherboard directly as it would have been before they updated these gubbins.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hi,
I got one of these cases recently and was annoyed it had no reset switch.
I asked Phanteks what was going on and they seemingly couldn't care less:

“Some of our cases get silent updates for the better and we have not updated the old manuals. Some retailers may have old stock.

It is not possible to use the switch as a reset switch. If you wish to have a PC case with a reset button, I am afraid you would need to follow the RMA procedure of the retailer and check for another case. Current Enthoo Pro M (TG) SE are mostly updated with the RGB LED board which replaced the reset button.

Phanteks team”

Charming lol…

Anyway, in spite of Phanteks lies, I now do have that reset switch hooked up, and a bonus switch for changing the RGB on the button.

It is indeed possible to take the top off, pretty easily; it doesn't fall to bits.

[cut pics]

Job done.

Hope this helps someone with the same problem. I don’t really NEED a reset switch, but a switch without a purpose is like a dog without a bark, or a cat without a meow.

Wow, well done! You were braver and more inventive than I was. I ended up just putting up with it. Nice solution you've worked out, though. Maybe if I get bored by all this social isolation I might try it myself one day... :)

Back
Top Bottom