Poll: British Grand Prix 2018, Silverstone - Race 10/21

Rate the 2018 British Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
What was suprising was Williams turning up with 'aerodynamic improvements' that were potentially dangerous...

That's what happens when there's no in-season testing. I'd guess it's quite a complex thing of the airflow not attaching in a timely fashion to the rear wing when the DRS goes from open to closed, and it's effect on rear downforce/grip. There's only so much you can see in a static wind tunnel or in CFD, and if your models don't tally with the real world, you're rather stuck. I bet it's something that isn't just down to the rear wing, but the aero across the whole of the car and how it interacts with the wing under those particular circumstances.

Soldato
Sounds really strange and needs to be seriously investigated what caused this behaviour.
What can it be, some personal problems, too much competition?

Probably all these kids the teams are hot-housing in the hope of getting another Hamilton/Vettel/Verstappen. They are basically still children with a lot to learn and it seems little respect for the rules. Good riddance to him.

Soldato
Kimi's wife is a savage :D

Dhm5nSzX4AQKMpE.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Whatever Ferrari have done to get the launch off the line need applauding imo.

For years (since at least the Alonso days) they've had immense launch off the grid box. It almost gains them a grid position over their rivals to the point where I never think of a RB or a Renault making up places from the start, but I always fear a fast starting Ferrari. Is it clever use of the battery pack to give them a pseudo traction control system? I hope it's something we find out about years from now in someone's autobiography (a bit like the stethoscope shenanigans at McLaren).

Their latest update is also working a treat. Hopefully this trend of a closely fought WDC continues to the end of the season as it'll make for one hell of a finale :cool:

I would say that is their biggest gain this year. Quite even in quali and with the edge in the race with the odd track favouring Mercedes. The Ferrari starts are insane though. The only way vettel will lose this championship will be if he loses his head again.

Seems the new floor caught Mercedes by surprise too. The whole merc package gained them three tenths whereas the Ferrari floor did that on its own.

Soldato
Was just saying this to a mate. If either Ferrari or Merc drop to last on the first lap it doesn't matter because they're guaranteed 4th still. Throw a lucky SC in the mix and it still gives the affected driver a shot at the win.

Nonsense. There's a top six, not a top four, and other teams can still compete from time to time. It is far from perfect, but it is a long way further from being a guaranteed fourth place.

Soldato
Did anyone else see this as Mercedes blocking? Or another Ferrari driver not quite on top of their brakes.

Why not? Kimi performed better than most of his recent races, trying hard to get the maximum possible.
At the start, again the Mercedeses blocked him - otherwise it could have been one-two for Ferrari.
Vettel did an excellent, Hamilton poor start and poor reaction of disappointment and frustration after the finish.
He just must get used to the fact that the domination days are over.

You're just trolling, race after race. Ferrari do not have a right to be at the front.

If you're correct, perhaps Hamilton could learn from Vettel. He's had five years getting used to how it feels to have the domination days end.

Soldato
Still think Mercs have the best package overall, atleast Silverstone was the last race to have special edition pirelli tyres for the rest of the season.

Man of Honour
Deliberately drove into his teammate on the cooldown lap of the race. Team testimony said it was premeditated. Again, declined to go to the stewards when summoned. Subsequently banned him from 2 events *4 races* and a €60k fine.

So they obviously take the not going to the stewards office seriously...because vettel drove into Hamilton last year under a safety car and only got a 10 second penalty. It always did set a poor example for the youngsters.

A 4 race ban seems quite lenient. Doesn’t exactly set a great example.

Man of Honour
Still think Mercs have the best package overall, atleast Silverstone was the last race to have special edition pirelli tyres for the rest of the season.

Thank goodness, you might all stop harping on about it. Vettels tires were blistering today, it is a good thing for him that he had the special merc tires.

Soldato
Thank goodness, you might all stop harping on about it. Vettels tires were blistering today, it is a good thing for him that he had the special merc tires.

Or a bad thing they weren't so special anymore for Mercs :)

https://www.racefans.net/2018/07/08/stewards-penalties-are-consistent-believes-wolff/

I lol'd at Wolff's comments here.

Let's retrace a bit:

1) Bottas took Kimi out in Baku and finished 2nd (No penalty for bottas)
2) Max took vettel front wing last year (no penalty for max)
3) Max had a slight tap with kimi in the last race which pushed kimi aside (but no penalty for Max)
4) Max involved in many 1st lap incidents (no penalties)
5) Bottas took kimi out in China 2017 (no penalty for bottas)
6) Vettel was doing 2nd FL in Canada q2 (think so), but boxed by many cars. Got slowed down by other cars. (No penalty to other drivers)

Definitely consistent :rolleyes:

Soldato
He used to whine his balls off when he was losing.

This is the thing with Hamilton, I want to see him win as he is the English guy. However I will agree he doesn’t always do/say the best things or indeed do himselves any favours. Then again I couldn’t imagine the type of world these guys have grown up in. You are basically centre of the universe and winning is everything and that’s it. So it doesn’t come as a major shock that they are a bit emotionally retarded/a bunch of moaners when things aren’t going their way...

Let's be honest.many world class athlete are like that

Soldato
These threads are just toxic these days, too much baiting, trolling and just blatent delusion. Yes there are still intelligent balanced posters but its just drowned out by the same few fanboys spending page upon page going round in circles with the same old arguments. What is wrong with people that they cant just have reasoned balanced discussions.

Gave it a 7, decent race, action at start and end, bit of a lull in the battle mid way through to the safety car, but solid race and enough to keep me watching the whole thing, not exactly memorable but definitely above average.

Great drive through the field for Lewis, and good damage limitation, although shouldnt have got himself in that position in the first place, definitely helped by the SC's if it wasn't for the second one, i reckon he might have gone the way of Bottas on the last couple of laps. Hopefully Lewis/Merc get on top of these starts, its really hurting them.
As for Ferrari, got to give it to Seb, he took it and he deserved the win. Fair penalty for Kimi.
Gutted for Sauber/Leclerc, he is becoming a real shining light, massively out performing that car, already coming across as more level headed and professional than Max, albeit without the pressure of expectation of being at a big team. I can see those two becoming big rivals in the future.
I'm really feeling for Williams, they just cant seem to catch a break at the moment, absolutely woeful weekend.

Soldato
Or a bad thing they weren't so special anymore for Mercs :)

https://www.racefans.net/2018/07/08/stewards-penalties-are-consistent-believes-wolff/

I lol'd at Wolff's comments here.

Let's retrace a bit:

1) Bottas took Kimi out in Baku and finished 2nd (No penalty for bottas)
2) Max took vettel front wing last year (no penalty for max)
3) Max had a slight tap with kimi in the last race which pushed kimi aside (but no penalty for Max)
4) Max involved in many 1st lap incidents (no penalties)
5) Bottas took kimi out in China 2017 (no penalty for bottas)
6) Vettel was doing 2nd FL in Canada q2 (think so), but boxed by many cars. Got slowed down by other cars. (No penalty to other drivers)

Definitely consistent :rolleyes:

consistently biased more like

Back
Top Bottom