GDPR and a new job advertised at work

Associate
So management have created a new job for Mr. X, job is advertised internally to pay lip service to impartiality but they refuse to reveal any details of salary etc, reason GDPR.
In future is this likely to become more standard.

Caporegime
But GDPR only applies to your own personal data? The expected salary range of the role must be known about and isn't confidential? Sounds like they're trying to get someone on the cheap to me.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

GDPR is a bull **** reason.

Basically, they've created a job for someone they already want to do it and don't want anyone else to apply.

Associate
OP
Amigafan wins, TUPE situation, Mr X. wouldn't TUPE across unless he was made management. My company promised continuity of service to client, my company over a barrel within days this new job appeared.
To make things more interesting, I've already been doing some things covered by Mr X impending new job for 18 months, is that long enough for 'custom and practice' to apply to job role? Management have just been made aware of my extra duties.

Caporegime
But GDPR only applies to your own personal data? The expected salary range of the role must be known about and isn't confidential? Sounds like they're trying to get someone on the cheap to me.

or they might have to pay more than they currently pay existing staff for similar roles - it works both ways

there is also the issue that internal staff might have restrictions on pay rises so the hiring manager can't pay an internal candidate as much even if he/she wanted to

edit - well OP has now clarified...

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

GDPR is becoming a big thing. I've noticed a few roles appearing for this type of work, however they can't hide a salary cost for a job under this category.

Unless the workplace is unionised (and has a transparency agreement in place), there is no requirement for the company to disclose the salary.

Caporegime
Yeh but it’s a job surely they have disclose a job peoples going for.

Why would they have to? amigafan has given one possible situation, another might be at some place where there are set pay bands and the job is known to be in a particular pay band... but in general I'm not sure why you think there would be an obligation to reveal it. They might well have to pay significantly more for an external hire than an internal hire and as a result will have quite a large range they'd be willing to pay for the role, depending on the individual applying and what they currently earn.

Permabanned
Why would they have to? amigafan has given one possible situation, another might be at some place where there are set pay bands and the job is known to be in a particular pay band... but in general I'm not sure why you think there would be an obligation to reveal it. They might well have to pay significantly more for an external hire than an internal hire and as a result will have quite a large range they'd be willing to pay for the role, depending on the individual applying and what they currently earn.

Then why don’t they expose the pay bracket if not a single salary. A job with no salary isn’t good unless it’s negotiable. Would I heck be going for a job with no salary info.

Caporegime
Then why don’t they expose the pay bracket if not a single salary. A job with no salary isn’t good unless it’s negotiable. Would I heck be going for a job with no salary info.

I think I already covered that in the post you've quoted, if it is a company that uses set pay bands then they might well reveal the band.

On the other hand if they've potentially got a wide range of values they are prepared to pay for the role then surely it is self explanatory why they don't release it, the potential salary on offer depends on the applicant.

Caporegime
I know I read it. Just disgusted companies aren’t making salary transparent.

Why are you disgusted?

Apply for job. When they ask about salary say you want 100k or whatever you are interested in earning. When they lol remind them they never specified a set salary in the advert.

When they ask about salary it will frequently be the recruiter asking you either what you're currently earning or what you're looking to get paid (usually the former). Assuming it was the latter though then stating a figure that is out of the range of what they've prepared to pay will probably just lead to a rather short phone conversation and the recruiter moving onto another candidate. No one is forcing you to apply for the job.

Back
Top Bottom