Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Soldato
Deep Sleep is there to put monitor into a sleep state where Dell can claim .5W power draw, however you cannot wake the monitor from deep sleep if the PC is still on, you'll either have to power cycle the monitor or restart the machine afaik.

Detailed in here

Apparently Deep Sleep disables the GSYNC module, so if the PC is on and the monitor goes into deep sleep you cannot wake it with mouse or keyboard. I had to disable Deep Sleep in the OSD, many times I need the PC on in the background but am happy for the display to sleep.

As for the other issue, no idea sorry.

Man of Honour
Deep sleep is an ultra low power idle state - normal sleep still uses a few watts - mostly its fairly low on mine but seems to jump up now and again so I'm guessing it periodically partially wakes to see if it should wake the monitor up - some people have seen a continuous 10-20 watt draw in normal sleep but mine isn't that high (might depend on which revision you have as there have been a few firmware tweaks I believe).

Generally deep sleep seems a bit problematic - some people have problems with G-Sync on resuming from deep sleep others have had the monitor just displaying random colours until they power cycle it, etc. so I've left it off on mine.

The power setup on this monitor seems a bit different to other monitors possibly due to the inclusion of the G-Sync FPGA module instead of the more usual monitor electronics.

Associate
Hi, I've just bought a s2716dg rev A07 and am using it with displayport and a 980. About twice an hour while gaming a vertical line appears in the middle of the screen and the image on the right half of the screen seems to overlap by a few mm. Is this a faulty screen issue or something else?
Thanks
I've the same AO7. Had the same problem for a while but it seems to have gone now. Didn't change anything, it just seemed to go away.

Soldato
Hmm. So purchased this monitor the other day for £450.

It's quite nice and I do like it but getting some colour banding on blacks. I have a A07 version. I'm hearing that there is a A09 version out now. Wondering if this solves these issues.

Using the profile from TFTcentral

Man of Honour
Nope there is some banding and a revision won't change that with the panel used - it is usually really minimal and hard to notice though I only see it in a couple of edge cases and probably wouldn't even notice if I didn't have a decent IPS beside it sometimes showing the same image.

Soldato
On my phone and no idea how to copy tags from Imgur.

This is the windows 10 logon. Now I have come from a 21inch 720p screen so I have nothing to really compare. But I would assume this is a high Res image. I have no idea of my camera is picking this up but there's a fair bit of colour banding. It's not just here but it's really hard to tell if it's say YouTube compression or game textures.

I love the monitor and other than the glossy back it's really nice. But this banding is bugging me. There just isn't a perfect monitor! This is the 3rd 1440p monitor I have bought in 2 years and I keep returning back to my 720p. I think I will have to settle but it's sad that this is the state of pc monitors.

https://imgur.com/a/a6MyNhr

Soldato
Had a lazy pixel or pixels for a few months on my A04, it comes and goes regularly in lower left corner about 2 inches in from left edge and 1 inch up from lower bezel so not massively annoying. I bought direct from Dell, has anyone used their support before? My only concern with raising a ticket is if they receive the monitor, fire it up and it doesn't show straight away, they'll just send it back I assume?

Soldato
Had a lazy pixel or pixels for a few months on my A04, it comes and goes regularly in lower left corner about 2 inches in from left edge and 1 inch up from lower bezel so not massively annoying. I bought direct from Dell, has anyone used their support before? My only concern with raising a ticket is if they receive the monitor, fire it up and it doesn't show straight away, they'll just send it back I assume?

Support were very good, did a few basic checks and they're dropping off a new one on Tuesday and picking up my faulty one. Did it all over e-mail, raised the Ticket on Wednesday, it was all arranged Thursday.

Soldato
Have been tempted to pick one up at the new low(er) price these can be found at but also hoping they release a new version soon. It's a 2015 monitor, isn't it? Seems to be a long time on the market :(. KNowing my luck I'll buy and a new S2718DG will arrive
EDIT: Decided to buy one. £449 not bad and if the new one comes out later I may pick one up for second PC. I shall look forward to comparing it to my old Dell U2711 when it arrives in a few days

Last edited:
Soldato
Glad I bought one of these. Was hopeful I'd get the Rev 09 which I did. Only problem is it's made my two old monitors look chunky and dated, and dark too. I know some complain about the washed out look on the 2716 but I find it fine for gaming, browsing and dev work. The colours are much better than the U2711 and 2408WPF, both of which I still have. I didn't want a monitor that looks like a gaming monitor so was a good choice. Wish I had upgraded sooner now.

Quick question. Do you just run it 144mhz when not gaming? Mine PC defaulted to 59 originally, maybe because of the monitor it replaces or to match the 2408wfp that's also connected. I've now set it at 120 which I seem to remember people run then at? First game I played defaulted to 144mhz and just left it at that but general use I currently have it at 120.

Man of Honour
I always run mine at 144Hz - people used to run the original Asus version at 120Hz on the desktop as it seemed to get a bit more life out of them before some of the problems cropped up with hardware failure :( (and GPU drivers back then wouldn't idle properly at 144Hz but they should now).

Soldato
Support were very good, did a few basic checks and they're dropping off a new one on Tuesday and picking up my faulty one. Did it all over e-mail, raised the Ticket on Wednesday, it was all arranged Thursday.

Hah! Replacement monitor, another set of stuck/lazy pixels! Opposite side of the screen, and sadly more towards the middle.

Soldato
I always run mine at 144Hz - people used to run the original Asus version at 120Hz on the desktop as it seemed to get a bit more life out of them before some of the problems cropped up with hardware failure :( (and GPU drivers back then wouldn't idle properly at 144Hz but they should now).

Funny thing is for me, while 144hz has been causing perfect idle state, 165hz does not and keeps my 1080ti at 1400mhz core. Reinstalling drivers, cleaning using whatever method you can come up with, nothing works outside of switching desktop back to 144hz. silly bug really.

Man of Honour
Funny thing is for me, while 144hz has been causing perfect idle state, 165hz does not and keeps my 1080ti at 1400mhz core. Reinstalling drivers, cleaning using whatever method you can come up with, nothing works outside of switching desktop back to 144hz. silly bug really.

Part of the problem is the more bandwidth required to display the image due to higher resolution the more "awake" the GPU has to be - I suspect they added more granular power control so as to run 144Hz and idle properly and will need to do that for higher Hz as well - if they sorted 165Hz they'd probably then have to do it subsequently for say 240Hz, etc.

Soldato
Just got one of these today. Get a discount through work so picked up the 27" for £360 delivered. Looking forward to getting it home and getting it setup. Mine has a manufacture date of April 2018 and a revision of A09.

Associate
I had same problem with mine but a little tap on it with my finger gets rid of it..... Not seen it for 3 or 4 months then suddenly reappeared after updating nvidia drivers. Mine is o4 as well I believe. Other than that it's a great monitor once you sort the colour out properly

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom