Buying an e-bike

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

What are the main electric specs?

Standard Bafang BBS02 48v750w (new controller version, but with the markings sanded off and this stuck on) with a 42t chainring, 750c display and hydraulic brake sensors. No gear sensor as I'm using the SRAM EX1 groupset that's ok to shift under load.

Battery is a 52v13.5ah 700 wh unit from Luna Cycles. It's mounted via 5 stainless rivnuts inserted into the down tube and re-inforced tabs, although if I'm doing serious off-roading I can either use re-inforced rubber straps that wrap around the battery and down tube to tightly secure the pack or pop the pack in a ruck sack - I've made it so the battery connector is easily accessible - you can just see it behind the seat tube. At full front suspension compression, the front tyre clears the pack by 1cm if anyone was wondering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Had my Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro stolen yesterday, very gutted! Make sure you guys have decent insurance, unfortunately I'm not covered so have to deal with the loss of a £2k bike, and resort to my normal bike for commuting, bah.

Caporegime
I really want a mid drive E bike but don't think I would risk owning one in England and in Switzerland bikes are crazy expensive.

Soldato
Just finished my latest build:-

bzQxPtB.jpg

Nice looking build. Had a go on a merida e160 900e today and I want one! Even at a good price it's still a bit of a stretch at the mo. How does your bike compare to a proper factory e-bike?? I currently have a 2017 trance 2 and would be interested in converting if the experience is similar, wanting pedal assist more than twist and go. Could you offer any advice or forum to take a look at, many thanks

Man of Honour
Nice looking build. Had a go on a merida e160 900e today and I want one! Even at a good price it's still a bit of a stretch at the mo. How does your bike compare to a proper factory e-bike?? I currently have a 2017 trance 2 and would be interested in converting if the experience is similar, wanting pedal assist more than twist and go. Could you offer any advice or forum to take a look at, many thanks

This is the main site - https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/

I learned about 3 years ago that it's better to build your own bike than one off the shelf.
That Merida is stupid money and I'm positive AmigaFan could make something much better for a third the price.

When I say 'build your own' I mean buy a decent bike and add the electrics.

Soldato
This is the main site - https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/

I learned about 3 years ago that it's better to build your own bike than one off the shelf.
That Merida is stupid money and I'm positive AmigaFan could make something much better for a third the price.

When I say 'build your own' I mean buy a decent bike and add the electrics.

Yeah it is stupid money but I can buy it used for 65% of the original cost but that's still a lot for me at this time. I like my trance so if i could convert, that would be awesome. Sounds like i need to get reading.

Man of Honour
Yeah it is stupid money but I can buy it used for 65% of the original cost but that's still a lot for me at this time. I like my trance so if i could convert, that would be awesome. Sounds like i need to get reading.

The simplest kit I've come across is Cyclotricity, a monkey could do it.
I have two converted bikes that are a Godsend with my failing limbs.

AmigaFan is probably wincing a bit at my suggestion but he really knows what he's doing.

Soldato
After looking at various motors the one that appeals is the TSDZ2 but it looks like it won't fit even with an adapter my B&B is 92mm and maybe a bigger issue is the bike itself as the downturn swoops right down so this would surely mean the motor would be even lower to the ground which i wouldn't want.

Back
Top Bottom