New I7-8700K build advice

Associate
Hi, hope everyone is well :)

So I've been spending the past few days looking into a few things required for this new build I am planning oin doing. Was supposed to upgrade last year but I had a change of plans unfortunately :/.

CPU in mind-https://www.overclockers.co.uk/intel-core-i7-8700k-8086k-ultra-edition-pre-binned-4.9-5.2ghz-coffee-lake-socket-lga1151-processor-cp-00c-8p.html#t=a1
Mobo- https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-6ak-as.html
Ram is either going to be the Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro or the G.Skill Trident Z. Both 4x8GB@3000MHz CL15.

Anyway I've got the majority of the parts sorted out. Some of them I already have and don't need upgrading at the moment. Such as the AIO cooler and GPU. I also have 2 HDD's and 1 SSD as boot drive, but I'd like to upgrade that later on to one of those M.2 drives, and also to later aquire the intel optane card for one of my HDD's. But storage isn't super important right now, I'll get round to changing that later on down the line.

My main issue is which case to get, as I'm getting one of the OCuk delidded ultra spec 8700K's @5.0Ghz cpu's and planning on mounting my 1080Ti vertically so It's going to get pretty hot in the case. As of right now, I'm more than likely going to get a bunch of the Corsair ML fans or the LL fans. I'll admit, I'm a sucker for fancy RGB lighting, but nothing over the top. But then I run into the position of my fans and which is best for cooling while also visually appealing. Like, what rpm is better depending on the position of the fan? SHould intake fans on a rad spin faster than the exhaust fans? How fast should exhaust fans go? I haven't a clue :/

After some research (particular that Bitwit video about AIO cooler positions) I've decided I'm going to mount my H115i on the front as intake with 2 140's pulling air in through the rad. So to keep pressure balanced, or slightly positive preferably, I'd guess 1 rear fan and 1 top rear fan would suffice as exhausts? See I'm unsure if having my GPU vertically will make a huge difference to it's temps. I should note, I don't want a case with a stock vertical bracket as most are too close to the glass panel. Was going to get one of the cooler master bracket mods, or the cablemods part to bring the card closer in.

To make things even more difficult for me, I'd like a case that not only has good airflow, but is relitively quiet. If a case even exists :p I know it's usually one over the other but I'd be happy with an allround case. Was looking into case's such the Fractal Meshify C, NZXT H700i/H500i, Corsair 275R, CM H500M mesh. These are the kind of cases im leaning towards.

To be picky, I really like the full PSU shroud cases, even though they're not great when it comes to keeping the GPU cool but I'm looking for a simple workaround.

I have no idea when it comes to fan placements or fan speeds in order to keep positive air pressure. Also if I should get a mix between the Corsair ML's and LL's, but then I wouldnt know where each model would benefit. Or if I should just stick with one of them? I'd like everything to work with Asus Aura anyway so I'm also hoping these cases I suggested are compatable.

Going for white case btw, with some black and grey/silver.

So aye, sorry for the massive post. Just really unsure in what to do at the moment :/

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) ty

Last edited:
Soldato
No prob's you didn't read the rules like me:D

It's a fair rule tho. They provide this forum so you should help people to spend money elsewhere...

Btw check out the CPU section and deliding. That's if you fancy having a go yourself.

Associate
OP
I'll admit it, I didn't read the rules ;) but I have posted on these forums before, was about a year ago. Should still have double checked I suppose. I do agree though, it makes sense now that I think of it.

I don't think I have the confidence of delidding such an expensive CPU :p I already know how exactly that would turn out, so I'd rather pay someone who knows what they're doing, and they'd make a better job of it anyway so aye

Back
Top Bottom