FIFA World Cup 2018 - Semi-finals [10/11 July] **spoilers**

Soldato
That's the first time I've felt proud of the lads when we've gone out.
See this is where I'm not sure, if we'd played the entire game like the first 30 minutes sure but when they show such a lack of desire to reach a World Cup Final as we just saw for the last hour it's difficult to see that positively.

The overall achievement of getting this far is great but going out with such a whimper is incredibly deflating

Caporegime
Please respect Croatia a population of only 4 million. We dominated the first half but Croatia had more hunger and experience. They were the better team in the end. We should have put it away in the first half.

I hope they beat France.

No way, France all day. I don't think I can carry on watching a sport where Lovren wins a world cup winners medal.

All in all proud of the team though, it's young and will learn from this experience. I will actually look forward to the Euro qualifying campaign, I can't remember the last time I looked forward to watching England play before this competition.

Soldato
I for one am very proud of this team, they’ve achieved more than anyone expected them to.

We could have so easily finished this game off in the first half, just needed that extra bit of clinical finishing.

Caporegime
Were people calling for Wilshere all tournament? Regardless it would’ve made **** all difference other than some less control in midfield.

Decent effort by england, a huge amount wrong in that game that should’ve been nullified by the chances Kane/Sterling/Lingard destroyed in the first half.

Maguire and Trippier were fantastic throughout.

Lots of people talked about it all tournament because we've failed to produce goals from open play all tournament. We've looked poor and ended up scoring a lot of set pieces. kane spent half the tournament backing into players and flopping over, not quite as badly as Suarez but there were another half dozen today, rather than get it down and pass it and get some play going he mostly was winning freekicks or losing the ball.

All tournament it's been patently obvious our lack of creativity, creating better chances from open play and inability to play a final ball to someone in a direct position to score rather than playing people into the channels who then have to find something and failed to do so for most of the tournament.

Soldato
England over achieved for the first time in two generations. That is progress.
The country will be disappointed but much happier than ever before. The team and manager emerge with credit. I bet them to be knocked out in the semi so I'm happy as I'm 70 quid better off and Ive got it doubled with France to win.
Well done to England. Young team but they have found their level for now. Plenty time to improve.

Man of Honour
See this is where I'm not sure, if we'd played the entire game like the first 30 minutes sure but when they show such a lack of desire to reach a World Cup Final as we just saw for the last hour it's difficult to see that positively.

The overall achievement of getting this far is great but going out with such a whimper is incredibly deflating

What I found incredibly deflating is how so many of the hyped players did... nothing - it was an incredible achievement for Southgate to get us this far and there was some players who were remarkable but some who really should have done better just didn't turn up when it was most important and that really soured it for me.

Soldato
as a pro backseat pro footy player, looked to me like our England team lost that game due to less physical fitness than Croatia. also Harry being violently fowled three times probably didn't help.

and no, if Harry had past it, rather than a goal attempt, the goaly still woulda got it i rekon

Soldato
Never expected them to reach the semi's so can't really complain about the team overall, but the match itself it just feels like we gave it away to Croatia after the 1st half :(

Caporegime
Most frustrating thing is that we’ll probably never luck out with the group/side of the draw like that again :( was our best opportunity we’re likely to get with the standard of players we’re ever likely to have

I'd rather us win it by beating some quality teams anyway, it would feel a little hollow scraping through with a lot of luck involved like Greece/Portugal etc.

Soldato
I've been massively gutted when England have gone out in the past (1996 and 2002 spring to mind) as it felt like we could have won those ones. Tonight I feel down but not devastated if nothing else after about 10 years of misery I actually enjoyed watching England again :)

Few tweaks (time to blood Sessignon next season) and we might be contenders in the Euros.

Back
Top Bottom