Why is my 2500k running so hot with a H100i?

Associate
Not sure if it's any help now, but is your pump set to Quiet mode in Corsair Link? I have a H110i GTX and leave the pump on performance as the noise difference is very very minimal in my system.
Also, within Corsair Link, can you check what your pump temp is? If it's high/similar to your CPU, it would indicate it's not pumping and cooling as it should. If it is dramatically lower, could indicate something going wrong between the CPU and cooler (too much/little paste, insufficient contact etc).

Soldato
OP
Oops seems I missed some responses here - sorry!

So I reapplied thermal paste, cleaned the fans and rad (was all pretty clean anyway to be honest).

The situation is much the same, if not slightly worse if anything. EDIT: Fairly confident it is worse now as I'm touching 90 at times. This is so annoying :(

How can I check how much fluid is left @Quartz??

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
There are two main ways: weigh the unit and compare it with the purchase weight of 2.1kg, or put the radiator by your ear and give it a shake and listen for the fluid sloshing around.
Damn I should have given it a little shake when I had it all removed yesterday.

Is it a common issue? And is it game over if the fluid is gone as its a sealed unit?

Soldato
I know this is not his issue but

I hear a lot about people saying "run your pumps in your AIO at max".
Well this actualy dont always give you the best cooling and I have shown this to be true in some situations. I did this on my rig and my bros. both have different coolers mine is a Corsair H115i his not 100% sure but its not a Corsair.

My theory is

If you have pump at max your pushing the water through the rad to fast.
Basicaly the air being pushed through the rad does not have time to cool the water down due to the water passing through the fins to fast.

If ya slow down the water its spending a little more time in the rad giving the air passing over the channels more time to transfer temp differances.

I know this is not his issue but thought it was a good place to mention it.

Soldato
I know this is not his issue but

I hear a lot about people saying "run your pumps in your AIO at max".
Well this actualy dont always give you the best cooling and I have shown this to be true in some situations. I did this on my rig and my bros. both have different coolers mine is a Corsair H115i his not 100% sure but its not a Corsair.

My theory is

Basicaly the air being pushed through the rad does not have time to cool the water down due to the water passing through the fins to fast.

If ya slow down the water its spending a little more time in the rad giving the air passing over the channels more time to transfer temp differances.

I know this is not his issue but thought it was a good place to mention it.
Also bear in mind the faster you run the pump (or bigger the pump) the more heat it adds to the loop itself

Soldato
Ya know never thought about adding that to one of the variables neither thanks :).

Tbh at lower setting I truly did get better cooling it's a win win.

Less noise
Less wear on pump
Etc :).

Soldato
OP
Tempted to just replace it as something seems quite largely wrong from the figures.

Any thoughts on the current go to AIO cooler?

Associate
saw a LTT video a while ago when they bought a second hand AIO off craigslist and had problems with it, turns out they removed the pipes and the valves had built up so much gunk there was literally no circulation anymore(most likely the reason the guy was selling it for so cheap) until he cleared them with a drill. Can't find the exact video right now but maybe it's a similar issue?

Soldato
But that also makes "packet" of water spend less time in CPU block in single pass giving it less time to absorbt heat from CPU.
If anything faster flow makes water start moving heat faster from block to radiator for dissipating, when CPU load and heat output increases.

Also bear in mind the faster you run the pump (or bigger the pump) the more heat it adds to the loop itself
While custom loop pumps have fair 20W consumption in comparison weak AIO pumps certainly don't consume as much.
Or they would have to have bad efficiency motors.

Soldato
OP
Just removed the whole system, gave it a shake and sure enough it sounds rather empty. Can hear a tiny bit of fluid but not much at all.

I guess that's my issue then! Should it not last longer than a few years?? Got it mid 2014 and don't really even game on my PC so shouldn't have had a hard life

Soldato
OP
Installed the tiny stock cooler (all I've got) and now sitting around 55-65c which I guess is reasonable for the stock cooler? Safe to assume nothing on the CPU itself has been damaged by the previous high temps, and I just need to replace the watercooler with something and should be good to go again? :)

Thanks guys

Soldato
Just removed the whole system, gave it a shake and sure enough it sounds rather empty. Can hear a tiny bit of fluid but not much at all.

You can refill it.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3180-refilling-aio-with-new-liquid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fobND-PZUg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvfSj6cZf5Q
etc

Safe to assume nothing on the CPU itself has been damaged by the previous high temps,

Actually no. I cooked a CPU by letting it overheat too often.

Soldato
OP
Hmm interesting

When you say cooked, you mean it didn't work at all? Mine is functioning but it's at 65c roughly on the stock cooler, not doing anything taxing. So just trying to work out if it has been damaged at all or is that 'normal' for the stock cooler

Soldato
OP
Yes. This was a Pentium D IIRC. I'd put the cooler back on the wrong way around so it didn't make contact! And I took too long in spotting it.
Ah OK, in that sense then, mine seems fine luckily.

Time to decide on refilling the H100i or just replacing then...

Back
Top Bottom