• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just bought GTX1050, trouble playing files over 100mb bitrate?

Soldato
http://jell.yfish.us/

I'm using this website and 90mb bitrate 10bit runs fine but 120mb 10bit stutters.

What is holding me back? I tried playing from my MX500 SSD as I thought it could be throughput on my mechanical WD drive 7200rpm but it's the same stutter.

CPU is an i5 2500K overclocked to 4.3GHz and have 16GB of RAM.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Can't compare directly but it plays ok for me in VLC on my system. I have directX hardware acceleration enabled in input/codecs which may make a difference. I'll try it on my laptop which is a haswell i7/GT750m system.

The only thing that I've noticed which can cause playback stutter for me is putting the system to sleep and then resuming.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
My laptop cannot play it properly. Pegs the cpu at 100%. Seems that the integrated graphics is taking priority over the nvidia gpu. That said having forced it to use the GT750m, it's still no better which looks like it's down to the age of the gpu not supporting h.265 hardware decoding.

Do you still have the intel igpu enabled?

Soldato
OP
What else should I consider doing with my new card?

It's an MSI GTX1050, so install Afterburner and overclock it?

Is there anything else I should consider doing?

Associate
What are you wanting to do? Just watch films or also some gaming?

If gaming, maybe try and squeeze a few more frames out of it by overclocking. It's a light gaming card, but it may show some gains. If just for films, I personally wouldn't do anything else. But maybe someone else more into films has some suggestions for things you could enable/disable and improve movie playback even more.

Associate
VLC needs a lot of 3rd party codecs such as LAv filters to force the gpu to decode ,t i5 6500 stuggles natively and produced hitches , so I installed the lav filters as a fixable work around , my 2700 has no issues and does not need the codecs . Pure cpu util

Back
Top Bottom