Bit of a noob question regarding UHD

Soldato
Hi,

Just upgraded from an HD (1080p) set to a 4k UHD set etc and I cannot help but be a bit underwhelmed by the HD picture.

The 4k picture is corking, but my old HD set has the better 1080p picture. Is this purely down to the picture being upscaled? Anything I can tweak to improve it?

Thanks in advance.
Jonathan

Last edited:
Don
Are you definitely viewing a 1080P source (i.e. not a DVD or SD quality channel)?

Does the TV have a specific 1080P mode? (e.g. the Panasonic EX700B i just bought calls it "1080P Pixel by 4pixels"), this bypasses any scaling/interpolation and just displays each 1080P pixel as 4 Pixels at 4k (rather than any softness/artifcating caused by antialiased scaling)

I've gone from a 42" 1080P to 50" 4K, and 1080P still looks great.

Soldato
Make sure your V6 box is set to 1080 mode in picture settings otherwise it'll be responsible for upscaling the HD/SD content and the scaler in the v6 box will be a lot worse than the one in your TV.

Soldato
That's pretty much how it works. You decide what part of the signal chain likely has the better upscaler, and set all other devices to pass through to let that device do its thing. It may not be your TV that has the best results from upscaling (it may be your amp for example), but it usually is the TV to be fair.

Don
Sony KD49XE8004. But only £645 :)

Should definitely be better, and hopefully there will be options for either an image processed scaling (X-Reality or Reality Creation on Sony I think?), and a "direct"/"pure" 1->4 pixel mode (where each pixel is doubled both directions, with no software processing).

On my Panasonic I've not noticed any issue leaving the software scaling turned on (despite "direct" scaling normally being a "sharper" picture), generally it will come down to personal preference and different source material.

Back
Top Bottom