Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Associate
Well i plan to go look at few more CLS this weekend, both are diesel this time one is a 320cdi and the other is 350cdi grand edition. It going to be a early start as i would like to make it back for the football. I also found a CL55AMG whats not far from the area i will be in, love them and they seem to a good 2nd buy these days taking into consideration how much they where to buy, if you willing to take the risk with the potential costly repair of the ABC suspension. Anyone have any experience with them?

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Can’t stop looking at C63’s at the moment, end of the year when the Golf goes back can’t come quick enough ;)

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
As much as I like the 6.2 I’m looking at the 4.0. In blue, with the switchable exhaust, and not the piano black trim please :)

Associate
Hi folks,

My girlfriend's sister (A180 AMG) managed to have a minor collision with a deer when driving home late last night. She's been very lucky, but we now find ourselves in a position where we need to fix or bodge what we can at home for the time being.

Looking at the damage, it looks like the front grille took the brunt of it and the central badge in the grill is missing. Looks like we can get a second hand replacement one of these off ebay without too much trouble. However is it easy to fit or is it a bumper off job?

Also, what the heck is that white module floating around infront of the radiator?? Looks like that would have been attached to the rear of the emblem, I'll cable tie that to the busted grill for now so she can get to where she's going.

The bumper does have some crazing in the paint where it has flexed and a larger crack, but very minor. It has however been knocked off its fixings taking with it the drivers side headlight and popping off the arch liner, hopefully I can pop this all back into place but again, I have no idea whether Merc will have made this as simple as that.

IMG_3224.jpg

IMG_3217.jpg

IMG_3208.jpg

IMG_3209.jpg

Soldato
OP
Well i plan to go look at few more CLS this weekend, both are diesel this time one is a 320cdi and the other is 350cdi grand edition. It going to be a early start as i would like to make it back for the football. I also found a CL55AMG whats not far from the area i will be in, love them and they seem to a good 2nd buy these days taking into consideration how much they where to buy, if you willing to take the risk with the potential costly repair of the ABC suspension. Anyone have any experience with them?

Yep, I have a CLS55 - not much that goes wrong with them really. The biggest (read, most expensive) risks are the Airmatic (not ABC) suspension and related system and the SBC braking system pump.

They share a lot of their chassis and parts with the E class but the usual AMG parts prices apply so general maintenance is a bit more expensive than average but it's not ridiculous compared to some cars with similar performance - just don't expect dirt cheap motoring and have some spare cash just in case should a big bill crop up.

Age and mileage related wear will be starting to show so usual checks of suspension components and brakes etc. Happy to answer any specific questions (or at least try to!)

Associate
Yep, I have a CLS55 - not much that goes wrong with them really. The biggest (read, most expensive) risks are the Airmatic (not ABC) suspension and related system and the SBC braking system pump.

They share a lot of their chassis and parts with the E class but the usual AMG parts prices apply so general maintenance is a bit more expensive than average but it's not ridiculous compared to some cars with similar performance - just don't expect dirt cheap motoring and have some spare cash just in case should a big bill crop up.

Age and mileage related wear will be starting to show so usual checks of suspension components and brakes etc. Happy to answer any specific questions (or at least try to!)

Thanks, but the CLS55 AMG what i would love!!! is just out of my price range. I found a CL 55 AMG that i was tempted by but was put off by the ABC system, but i have decided that i would like a CLS. The diesels i test drove where great, but didn't have me grinning like the CLS500 I drove the other weekend. PS very jealous that you have CLS55, what colour is it?

Soldato
OP
Thanks, but the CLS55 AMG what i would love!!! is just out of my price range. I found a CL 55 AMG that i was tempted by but was put off by the ABC system, but i have decided that i would like a CLS. The diesels i test drove where great, but didn't have me grinning like the CLS500 I drove the other weekend. PS very jealous that you have CLS55, what colour is it?

Sorry, my mistake, I misread CL for CLS on your other post. Yeah, I was a bit put off by ABC when I looked at CL's before I got my CLS, but by the same token, others have nothing but good things to say about it!

My CLS is Obsidian Black with Piano Black trim inside. Some pics in the first post of this thread :)

Associate
Sorry, my mistake, I misread CL for CLS on your other post. Yeah, I was a bit put off by ABC when I looked at CL's before I got my CLS, but by the same token, others have nothing but good things to say about it!

My CLS is Obsidian Black with Piano Black trim inside. Some pics in the first post of this thread :)

That is very nice! The CLS500 i test drove was in the same colour, the CLS is a better looking car than the CL anyway. I have heard lots of great things about the CL, but then you get the horror stories when the ABC system fails and cost of the repairs :eek:.

Soldato
I have a 67 plate C350e Sport. I’ve tried everything but I cannot get the windows to open and close from the keyfob. Every car I’ve had in the last 15 years has been able to do this and I assumed a car with a list price north of £40k would have this feature but I’m starting to doubt it has, or something is broken.

Anyone know if this is standard on the C Class or not?

Soldato
I was wondering the same. In the recent heat I've tried a couple of times to open the windows by holding unlock on the fob and it's done nothing. Even my 2005 Mondeo had this, so I'm surprised my C250 doesn't.

@blueboy2001 does yours also have the pano roof? Thats the only thing I could think which would cause them to disable the feature on an individual car spec level.

Soldato
Check if you have an IR receiver on the driver's door handle. I have to point my key at that and hold the unlock button and it'll lower the windows, open the sunroof and turn on the drivers vented seat.

This guy just holds the unlock button and all the windows open. He has the pano roof too. Car has to be unlocked already.

Soldato
I can’t see an IR sensor on the drivers door, and I have tried pointing the key at the door handle.

I don’t have a sunroof.

This feature isn’t mentioned anywhere in the brochure. It doesn’t actually state anywhere that the car has electric windows at all!

Strange thing is it has the tunnel feature where if you hold the recirc button down it’ll close the windows, then when you press recirc again they’ll go back to the previous position so all the electronics to enable this are already in the car.

Associate
I can’t see an IR sensor on the drivers door, and I have tried pointing the key at the door handle.

I don’t have a sunroof.

This feature isn’t mentioned anywhere in the brochure. It doesn’t actually state anywhere that the car has electric windows at all!

Strange thing is it has the tunnel feature where if you hold the recirc button down it’ll close the windows, then when you press recirc again they’ll go back to the previous position so all the electronics to enable this are already in the car.

2018 350e Sport w/pano here, it works on either side of my car, just press and hold unlock to open and lock to close.. I have noticed previously that it seemed temperamental but I just tried a few times and it works reliably.

p.s. I dont see an IR sensor either, but it does work. Feature is called "Summer Opening"

Soldato
Do you have keyless go?

It works on my friends 15 plate C220d AMG Line Premium which has keyless go, mine doesn't.

I wonder if it's something that can just be coded as it appears all the hardware is present.

Associate
Do you have keyless go?

It works on my friends 15 plate C220d AMG Line Premium which has keyless go, mine doesn't.

I wonder if it's something that can just be coded as it appears all the hardware is present.

Yes I do, but its worked on mercedes I have had in the past without keyless so I don't know why that would be the issue.

Soldato
Do you have keyless go?
Yes I do. I tested mine last night and it appears to be a proximity thing. If I'm within 5ft of the car it works. If I'm any further away then it just locks/unlocks the car without affecting the windows.

It's a little annoying as I generally want to do this when walking to or away from the car, but understandable I guess to stop the button accidentally being held down when the key's in your pocket.

Back
Top Bottom