Antec HCG Gold 750w or Seasonic Focus Plus 750W?

Soldato
Building a new budget rig, with room to expand in the future, but do not want to skimp on the PSU.

My last PSU was a Corsair TX650 from around 2009. It hasn't had much use as the PC has been in storage, but I do not want to risk it.

So looking at PSUs, it has come down to the Antec HCG Gold 750w or the Seasonic Focus Plus 750w.

The Seasonic is £5 more, and I am aware that the Antec has Seasonic internals, but is the Focus Plus a better PSU? Obviously the price difference isn't something to worry about, so I am open to suggestions.

Also - a CoolerMaster v650 Modular unit has come on sale for £69.99 - looking at reviews, it seems to be decent, but is it worth stumping the cash for one of the above units?

My PC shouldn't draw more than 450w - 500w under load, so either unit will be able to power the system.

Soldato
Hi

Pretty sure they are both the same unit (Platform), at least from what I have read. @Ace Modder should be able to confirm.

You will probably be fine with a 550W unit though. No real need for 750W unless you are running a dual gpu setup.

Soldato
OP
@Ace Modder - I have had two of these PSUs and both times they have been faulty. I am in the process of returning my second one. Perhaps a bad batch? Not very impressed!

Definitely the PSU, I have bought a cheap Corsair one and it works fine.

Associate
@Ace Modder - I have had two of these PSUs and both times they have been faulty. I am in the process of returning my second one. Perhaps a bad batch? Not very impressed!

Definitely the PSU, I have bought a cheap Corsair one and it works fine.

You get bad batches everynow and again , had two RM 850s from the same run when they came out , both faulty . Luck of the draw sometimes

Soldato
OP
sorry to hear, but they are made by Seasonic, so no idea what has happened there? What was the fault?

As soon as the PC was under load it would just cut. No display on the graphics card and would require a fat finger reset to use again.

I thought it may have been a bad batch - the units do have good reviews. Bit of a shame really!

Soldato
I thought it may have been a bad batch - the units do have good reviews. Bit of a shame really!
I wonder how sensitive PSUs are to handling during shipping...
No doubt in HDDs shipping damage accounts for notable part of early failures.
And with cargo moved in containers and pallets one accident or sloppy/indifferent worker could easily damage whole bunch of them.

Heck, some 20 years ago in one TV program one maker of clocks with stone face plate wondered how post managed to keep breaking them regularly...
Even though he packed them well enough to survive drop from 1½m height!

Back
Top Bottom