Matx tower with vertical GPU option??

Associate
Hi folks,

I'm planning an upgrade from my aging Coolermaster Silencio 352 in anticipation of going custom water at some point, but I'm struggling to find a case that ticks all my boxes. I have a list of requirements below, I'm happy to sacrifice one of two to get the right case, so here goes:

- Matx board size max. Atx or e-atx would be wasteful
- Vertical GPU (required)
- 240 rad capable
- cable management and access top bottom and usual edge of board, rubber grommets preferred for entry points.
- PSU shroud (required)
- tempered glass
- 5.25" bay
- intake filters (front access preferred but not mandatory)

RGB i'm not too bothered about. If it's there, i'd use it but it's not critical (can always add my own later, if I fancy it...)

After some research, the closest I've found is the NZXT H400i, tho this is missing the 5.25" bay (can live with that) but it lacks the vertical GPU option. I've also looked that the R5 but this is a bit spartan and is lacking a PSU shroud. Is there anything out there that fulfills my needs or am I going to have to consider the R6 atx sized boxes to get it all??

As always, thanks in advance for any guidance :)

DB

I might be missing some measurements but isnt the Bitfenix Prodigy what you are after? I had that case and it was brilliant.

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed the glass and psu shroud comments. Although maybe modding a Prodigy would be perfect!? :D

Associate
OP
OK, I've accepted defeat, I cannot find any Matx case with a vertical GPU (without extensive modification) so have now widened the search to Atx form factor. So far, I'm looking at the Fractal Design R6 but it's a pretty sizeable case, or the NZXT H500I. A couple of questions:

1 - Has anyone done a build with either of these, and if so what was it like? Any merits of one over the other??
2 - Am I missing any more options (I've spent close to 20 hours looking into this now) that might be more suited to my needs from my OP...
3 - With the vertical option, are there any cases that come with the PCI-E extender, to save hassle locating one?

Now, I've seen some info that vertical mounts suffer from heat issues, due to limited airflow but if ventilation is sufficient I would assume this to be an academic issue?

As always, thank you in advance for any guidance.

DB

Last edited:
Don
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom