Urgent: spec me a tablet for while I'm stuck in hospital...

Soldato
Stuck in hospital for possibly the next 6 weeks with a none weight baring injury as per in my thread in GD.

I was thinking of buying a kindle as I'm slaying books like nobody's business atm. But if I'm going to spend money I want something I can use for internet, youtube, netflix etc etc. Wifi is a must but also something with 4g as the hospital wifi is useless and unsecured.

Ideally I'd like to spend around £150 of my savings but can be a bit flexible. And I hate apple products with a animalistic fury.

What do you guys recommend?

Soldato
OP
Can you install Google play store and apps like YouTube and Gmail on a fire 10? As I've heard they're blocked by Amazon or some such and thats the main thing stopping me from buying.

maj

maj

Soldato
Basically installing .apk files that wouldn't normally be installed on that device.

There's guides on how to do it on the Fire tablet. I had to do it myself and only took a few minutes.

Soldato
I've just got a cheap Amazon Fire that isn't great but gets the job done, if your in hospital and worried about it getting nicked you don't wanna be spending anything more than £50 right? Put a wanted up in the MM and I'm sure someone has something laying around.

Soldato
OP
Vidar if it's of any use to you I can send you one of these (if I can find it), it's not gonna set the world on fire but not been used in 1-2 years and happy to post it up to you. Unfortunately I won't be able to post till saturday or monday, depends if you want something sooner :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D2JDD6Y/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

Mate that is very generous of you and would be most appreciated, i couldn't take it off you for free though.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Mate that is very generous of you and would be most appreciated, i couldn't take it off you for free though.

Yea you can, I'd only end up binning it down the line. I'll dig it out tonight and format it etc, if it's no good for you (size/storage etc) then give it to one of your kids or something.

Trust me an address to send it to and I'll try get it in the post tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
It's funny you mentioned that, there are so msny tablets connected to various machines that none of the staff use. As far as I can tell they're not broken just not working as intended.

Soldato
It's funny you mentioned that, there are so msny tablets connected to various machines that none of the staff use. As far as I can tell they're not broken just not working as intended.
Actually I was thinking more of the pharmaceutical type so that didn't work Hope your recovery isn't too bad, enjoy the rest if you can.
Andi.

Soldato
Vidar if it's of any use to you I can send you one of these (if I can find it), it's not gonna set the world on fire but not been used in 1-2 years and happy to post it up to you. Unfortunately I won't be able to post till saturday or monday, depends if you want something sooner :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D2JDD6Y/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1
That's really generous of you, and it's a good tablet actually - really nice screen especially. Not sure how easy Google Play is to sideload as that uses an older version of the OS, but you can access Gmail and YouTube using a web browser like Silk or Firefox.

Soldato
OP
This is such a brilliant community full of amazing people. Sui I can't thank you enough I'll certainly be putting it to good use.

Sometimes feel like I'd be lost without ocuk forums.

Back
Top Bottom