Memory or motherboard problems?

Associate
Would be grateful for assistance :)

Have been running an Asus x99-s + 16gb Geil evo DDR 4 2666 + 5820k for 3 yrs+

The ram I have run at xmp (no overclock) and the cpu at 4.2 (speedstep running so not running perm. at 4.2!)

Voltages I've left to the board.(ram is , allegedly, running at 1.2 v and cpu runs between 0.807 to 1.24v ) Temps of cpu never exceed 64c and usually run at about 30-34 on all cores. (custom watercooled loop for cpu and gpu) Ram temps not known

Windows 10 pro

About 7 - 10 days ago I suddenly had a bsod - blamed it on poorly coded wolfenstein 2 - but have been getting such quite often ever since - windows 'comment' is hardware failure!

Ran windows memory diagnostic and have also run memtest both of which have found errors.

Have run mem test a few times and tried running the ram at 2133 - no change! BUT more by accident than design then ran with no cpu overclock after which the ram was error free.

Strange!! - partic. when you factor in the fact that it was stable for 3yrs plus.

New ram or what?

Input appreciated :):)

Permabanned
set the ram to stock speeds and test one stick at a time using memtest86.
if a stick as any errors retest in a different slot, if again you find errors RMA the ram. 99% of ram as a lifetime warranty

also remove all overclock when testing, bios reset is best unless your using raid in that case manually remove all over clocks

Associate
OP
Thank you for your reply :) but I would observe that although I can see some sense in testing individually as it is the case that if I have to RMA all 4 will have to go back it does seem a little pointless. Nothing lost by trying tho so may give it a go.

I have also mentioned that if I remove the cpu overclock then the ram passes BUT It remains my purpose (as it has been without fault for 3yrs) to overclock the cpu.

What I am trying to ascertain is wether the problem is more likely to be the board or the ram?? - Dependent upon the answer dictates the choice between a new board or new ram.

Maybe the cpu? but I thought this the least likely problem - if anyone thinks it could be the cpu then please say.

So far as the RAM is concerned I did speak to ocuk who advised that I would have to RMA myself to Geil (in Taiwan, I understand) and having read up I am not keen upon the cost and indeterminate wait time. (I would not have asny computer pending return of the ram/new ram) - the reviewsof Geil's rma that I have read do not inspire confidence:(

Permabanned
the idea with testing ever stick is you can get a false fail when running more than one stick, if all you want to know is if its motherboard or ram test the ram in way i said, if it fails it the ram.

i have no experience with Geil RMA, but iuf the ram is dead it would just go in the bin and you buy new.... so RMA it and you may get so nice mew stuff the sell and recoup some of the cost to getting new ram

Associate
OP
Thanks P4Clock !

Decided to have a longer go running no overclock - am getting errors :( - so its not the overclock or the board (probably).

Having read your thoughts about Geil RMA decided to bite bullet and bought 4 sticks of 4gb corsair vengeance lpx 2666.:) which will hopefully solve the problems - please !!!!!

Before removing will test stick at a time to see if I can find the little s... BUT have decided that I will try the geil rma. (Provided it does not cost too much!!)

Will advise as to results.

Associate
OP
Twas memory :(

Fitted new corsair ram - motherboard read it and applied xmp profile together with cpu clock to 4.2 and looks stable (error messages from windows memory diagnostic and memtest - all gone :) )

Hopefully a problem now finished with!!

Do have another ? CPU-Z shows a further Timing of xmp-2800 but with a voltage of 1.350 - A step too far or go for it?

Back
Top Bottom