Who owns a Golf GTD / GTI / R?

Associate
I borrowed a friends new Golf R today for a quick blast up and down the roads of Mini land in Oxford. Now it was nothing more than a 5 minute around the block job, but it left me a little cold. It must be said I didn't fiddle with settings, I got in and drove it as was but the steering was very light and lacking feel, the engine had very noticeable lag and the DSG box felt blunt. By no means a proper road test, but off the bat very bland, more so than I remember. Do these things grow on you?
Very much sounds like the car was in Eco or Normal. In Race mode the DSG keeps the car on the boil for instant response as well as sharpening and adding decent weight to the steering.

Man of Honour
I borrowed a friends new Golf R today for a quick blast up and down the roads of Mini land in Oxford. Now it was nothing more than a 5 minute around the block job, but it left me a little cold. It must be said I didn't fiddle with settings, I got in and drove it as was but the steering was very light and lacking feel, the engine had very noticeable lag and the DSG box felt blunt. By no means a proper road test, but off the bat very bland, more so than I remember. Do these things grow on you?

I get the same sort of thing when my Clio RS is in drive. In sport it is nice though.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
when I had my GTD, and in the current R, if left in sport/race mode when turned off the next time I started up the engine settings were still in the sport/race modes just the gears were dropped back to D rather than S.

But the engine stuff still stayed the same, more noticeable in the R as in Race the engine noise, real/fake, is a lot more pronounced!

Personally 99% of the time I drive it in individual with all settings set to normal apart from the noise thing set to eco which pretty much removes any of the crappy noise.

Then race mode for a bit of fun now and again :)

Associate
Mine starts in eco mode. I set the key to myself and it remembers the settings. I used to have it start in normal with the engine sound thing set to sport (to mask the tractor engine). Now I've discovered "Coasting" I drive in eco mode if I'm not using the cruise control :)

Associate
How to set the key to remember the settings?

I did it through the stereo. You can set each key to a person and the settings for that person will be active when that key is used.
At least, that's how it appears to work in mine?

Think you will need to do it through a cable and laptop to override that function.

Think it’s called VCDS or something like that. Used to be called Vag com but not cheap, cable is around £200 I think.

Ehh? Piffle

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
About to click yes on a new GTI PP but undecided on a few options;

Art Velour Seats
Dynaudio Sound System

Can any owners with the above mentioned extras comment on whether they are worth the extra pound?

Associate
Cant say anything about the seats, but I have the Dynaudio in my 7.5 R and it's good. Much better than the standard setup in my Mk 7 GT. I'd happily tick that option again.

Caporegime
Definitely go with the dynaudio option, I have it in my GTD and I quite like it. If I was to get another GTD, which I’m not rather thinking of a Golf R...it’s definitely an option that I’ll be wanting.

Soldato
Thanks for that guys.

Order placed this morning. Have gone for a GTI 245 Performance, 7 speed DSG with the following options;

- White Silver Metallic Paint
- Dynaudio
- 19" Brescia Alloy Wheels
- Art Velour Interior

Can't wait to take delivery. I currently have a 2017 MK7 GTI but with standard specification so really looking forward to extra power and improved dash!

Back
Top Bottom