GT86/GR86/BRZ

Permabanned
@Delta3D
I be like:
Screw buying house at 18 or You end up like my work mates.
Got themselves Houses when they ware around 20 first and they are sucking all theirs money in !!! All 3 of them are 40+ and love cars and you know what they are driving ??
Simon 1 liter NON TURBO fiesta
Kev Ibiza TDI
Danny Nissan Juke.
Every single time they start thinking about getting some nice car something in house needs doing. Boiler kitchen decorating and so on.

If You can save up 13k at Your's age IM HAPOY FOR YOU and decision to get a nice gt86.

Once You start this Adult stuff thats that dont get fooled by Time will come. I'm looking at people around me that I know Time came but you know what ?? They are Too old to enjoy stuff they waited to do later.... They wasted Youth on working all the time.

BTW. Come japfest next Year 30 quid few laps around donington Always fun :)

Last edited:
Soldato
that only stands ground for cars before 2005 now its cheap jumk breaking all makes all cars.

Naa Japanese cars are still pretty well built. Only thing you need to watch for is rust as they don't rust proof them all that well. It's worth getting it re-done after a few years.

Permabanned
Naa Japanese cars are still pretty well built. Only thing you need to watch for is rust as they don't rust proof them all that well. It's worth getting it re-done after a few years.
True next month I'm having a go on my 350z. Wire brush and Hammerite underseal. Greese up allsuspension parts and ofc... Rear arches where rust coming out.

Associate
True next month I'm having a go on my 350z. Wire brush and Hammerite underseal. Greese up allsuspension parts and ofc... Rear arches where rust coming out.

I used Bilt Hammer Dynax UB for the underside of my mx5 and their S50 for inside the sills and box sections. They're some of the best anti corrosion products available

https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments/dynax-ub

https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments/dynax-s50

Associate
Your next choice will be tyres. Many people will tell you to put stickier/wider rubber on the car. Many, myself included, will say, don't. The primacies (if still fitted) are hard wearing, last a long time and provide the car quite a bit of frisky-ness which makes it fun with the low power. Softer, stickier rubber will kill the tail happy fun factor, move the limit of getting the car moving around much higher and into dangerous speed and will wear out faster. Your choice.

If you keep the Primacies, be WARNED, they are digital in the wet. Grip, grip, grip, no grip. They just give up big time, it goes from fully gripping to bamby on ice instantly. They are much worse when cold too, so let them warm up for a few miles before getting enthusiastic with them.

Winter tyres and cheap set of 16" rims will do you well if you need a reliable daily driver all year round. You will go nowehere in snow and ice with primacies (or any summer tyre) on.

Permabanned
Your next choice will be tyres. Many people will tell you to put stickier/wider rubber on the car. Many, myself included, will say, don't. The primacies (if still fitted) are hard wearing, last a long time and provide the car quite a bit of frisky-ness which makes it fun with the low power. Softer, stickier rubber will kill the tail happy fun factor, move the limit of getting the car moving around much higher and into dangerous speed and will wear out faster. Your choice.

If you keep the Primacies, be WARNED, they are digital in the wet. Grip, grip, grip, no grip. They just give up big time, it goes from fully gripping to bamby on ice instantly. They are much worse when cold too, so let them warm up for a few miles before getting enthusiastic with them.

Winter tyres and cheap set of 16" rims will do you well if you need a reliable daily driver all year round. You will go nowehere in snow and ice with primacies (or any summer tyre) on.
Not everyone likes TAIL HAPPY cars ?? I sure dont.

Soldato
The primacies are hilarious, I kept them :D They aren't really that bad though. Still far better than the average budget tyre (please don't use budget tyres on this car).

As for a winter tyres... you can often find people selling sets of used OEM alloys. £200 (for the set) seems to be the going rate on owners club sites.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea don't buy one unless you like a bit of sliding, it moves around a LOT. Which is a bit hairy if you aren't used to it, but it won't kick the back fully out unless you turn TC off and do it on purpose (and if you do it will go very sideways very quickly :D)

Soldato
You don't have to tackle ever corner sideways in a cloud of tyre smoke to enjoy the GT86. I wasn't keen on the Primacies, not because the car kept stepping out with them, but just because they felt unstable at speed and when cold or wet. I've since switched to using performance tyres (F1AS2, then PS4, now onto F1AS3) and enjoy the the car a lot more as a result; more planted in general and any breakaway is more predictable.

Caporegime
I used Bilt Hammer Dynax UB for the underside of my mx5 and their S50 for inside the sills and box sections. They're some of the best anti corrosion products available

https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments/dynax-ub

https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments/dynax-s50

that Bilt Hamber stuff is ridiculously expensive.

any reason why I cant use rust-oleum and hammerite underseal?

my plan is to go over with a wire brush. spray on some rust converting type of paint/primer.

then to use hammerite underseal.

i will be doing the underneath of a lexus which is covered in rust all over. not even that old. i will then tackle my 15 year old bmw as it's in pretty good nick. i doubt it even needs done on the bmw tbh but do it for protection anyway since it's so old now.

Soldato
One place to check on the gt86 is inside the front wings. Water drains through them but they get clogged with crap sometimes (you can just pull back the edge of lining and see inside). When I looked in mine the driver's side one had handfuls of compost in it.

Permabanned
Then the GT86 is probably not the right car for you.
Why not smal supercharger on pilot sport 4 and should be nice around track. If 350z is fun around track I cant see reason why gt86 would not be just needs more power for my liking. I will never forget when they came out i was driving my DC2 back from work and aome asian chap wanted to race mee off the lights. I was like engine oil warm why not lets see how rhem gt86 are... Rapes him so hard it was not even fun. Ofc he was stock and my dctl2 had 15k worth of performance mods guess he not expected that lol.

Still gt86 is great car same as mx5 butr lask of power for me :p

Associate
If 350z is fun around track I cant see reason why gt86 would not be just needs more power for my liking.

i stopped here. You don't get it.

EDIT: I grant you, on track things are different, but on the road, if you don't get low power, low grip, you don't get the GT86. If you want high grip, high power, look elsewhere there are many options. Most are 9/10th cars, that try to kill you at 11/10ths. The GT86 10/10th is easy, 11/10th is embarrassing, but usually benign.

Permabanned
i stopped here. You don't get it.

EDIT: I grant you, on track things are different, but on the road, if you don't get low power, low grip, you don't get the GT86. If you want high grip, high power, look elsewhere there are many options. Most are 9/10th cars, that try to kill you at 11/10ths. The GT86 10/10th is easy, 11/10th is embarrassing, but usually benign.
Im not retarded enough to push cars on normal roads. Thats what trackdays are for. Kinda nice to have licence that I need for work.
Like what Japanese car options do we have nowadays?? Civic r mx5 Gt86 wrx 370 gtr did I miss something?? From german toys hmm i like Z4, Ford is falling appart just from standing. Hmm ate from work changed 700hp evo for 380hp clio that bin men wrote off when he was at work month ago :/.

In general i think supercharged gt86 with around 280hp shpuld be great fun around track and in general.

Associate
Like what Japanese car options do we have nowadays?? Civic r mx5 Gt86 wrx 370 gtr did I miss something?? From german toys hmm i like Z4, Ford is falling appart just from standing.

You are right there isnt much Zeed. 370z, Evo X and maybe WRX STI/TypeR when they come down in price. Things are looking up though now that the Koreans are making interesting cars, and there is the new Supra to look forward to potentially as well.

Soldato
People don't make cars like this any more, at least not many. Normally if you want a proper sports car these days you need to looking at Porches and more expensive things. Everyone is making FWD/AWD hot hatches or SUVs for the mass market now and it's got pretty boring. I'm hoping we get more gt86-like cars for around the same price. The Supra will be 40k+ I think.

Back
Top Bottom