• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fastest card at all costs

mof

mof

Associate
Supposing all the people involved in making graphics cards all decided that they weren't interested in making
profit any more and they joined forces with their sole objective being to make the fastest gaming card possible.

Do you think it would be much faster than what is available today (or coming out in the next year) or not?
How would it compare to a Titan V?

Associate
Yes, but it wouldn't be affordable or practical to run, in the same way that having the sole objective to make the fastest car possible costs millions and involves a rocket.

It'd probably kill progress too. There would be an initial jump forwards, but if all manufactures were involved in a joint project, there would be no competition to drive it forwards after that for quite some time.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
They can make much faster cards if they wanted to, trouble is it would not make any financial sense. Even if you mean they would break even, they would not be able to make the fastest card as they need to be able to make something that would sell in high enough quantities to break even.

If they made much better cards for 1 million a pop and there was demand to break even, they could make a better card than if it was for £500.

mof

mof

Associate
OP
I was thinking more along the lines of a world dictator who wanted higher FPS so breaking even wouldn't be an issue. Nor would power consumption or the total cost of making the card.

Soldato
Each new gen of card is usually just a measured step up from the last one, but could they have made it much faster? Probably
Do we only buy a new card when it begins to struggle with the latest games, and if so would making a card mega fast mean they would cut their own throats because it would last too long?
The cost of a decent top of the range card is mind-blowing and I cringe when I think how much I've spent on cards and what other entertainment electronics I could buy for the same amount of money :eek:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I was thinking more along the lines of a world dictator who wanted higher FPS so breaking even wouldn't be an issue. Nor would power consumption or the total cost of making the card.
In that case he could command nvidia and amd to work together for a year or so, pump out about a billion gpu’s and connect them together and get all the game devs in the world to work to design a game for it. Lol. That would probably be not far of photorealism.

Man of Honour
Supposing all the people involved in making graphics cards all decided that they weren't interested in making
profit any more and they joined forces with their sole objective being to make the fastest gaming card possible.

Do you think it would be much faster than what is available today (or coming out in the next year) or not?
How would it compare to a Titan V?

I think you have already answered your own question.

The Titan V is a gaming card and sells for £2800 and even at that price I would be surprised if NVidia are making much money from them. I think the purpose of the Titan V is to enable NVidia to offload spare GV100 chips that don't make it into the professional cards.

Another problem is the Titan V has features that could be used for gaming like its Tensor cores but the chance of game devs taking advantage of them is probably zero.

Soldato
It'd probably kill progress too. There would be an initial jump forwards, but if all manufactures were involved in a joint project, there would be no competition to drive it forwards after that for quite some time.

Plus the technical evolution would largely stall too. We saw it with the Bugatti Veyron. Volkswagen went mental and produced something utterly insane, the sheer pinnacle of what a motor car could be, and then nothing happened after that for ages. Then comes the Chiron which, while still impressive, is "just" an evolution of the Veyron; it's refinement of the beast but nothing groundbreaking.

Arguably Nvidia did this too with the OG Titan and Titan Black. When that thing first landed it was a holy cow moment in the consumer space, but everything since has been a refinement of the beast, nothing groundbreaking.

Back
Top Bottom