***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Caporegime
Reduced colour shift at the edges, which can happen with even some good flat large monitors.
Nice. I am having some seriously dirty thoughts of a ~650€ LG UW Curved 34" beast for my home office in the next few months. I do do photography but for 80% of its work it will be for when I WFH so remote sessions, emails, web browsing etc. I like the fact you can use software to split the screen so its like having dual monitors without the bezels. Can see it being incredibly useful.

Plus curved monitors look awesome! So there is that.

Not that I am trying to convince myself no....

Permabanned
Nice. I am having some seriously dirty thoughts of a ~650€ LG UW Curved 34" beast for my home office in the next few months. I do do photography but for 80% of its work it will be for when I WFH so remote sessions, emails, web browsing etc. I like the fact you can use software to split the screen so its like having dual monitors without the bezels. Can see it being incredibly useful.

Plus curved monitors look awesome! So there is that.

Not that I am trying to convince myself no....

Personally, I prefer the Samsung CF791 which is a roughly similar price.

I like using 100Hz and find the colours that bit better, although the colours on the LG are pretty good too. The Samsungs also seem to have fewer reports of build quality issues.

Caporegime
Personally, I prefer the Samsung CF791 which is a roughly similar price.

I like using 100Hz and find the colours that bit better, although the colours on the LG are pretty good too. The Samsungs also seem to have fewer reports of build quality issues.
Thanks, I will check this out. I hadn't considered the Samsung. Only in the early stages of looking into it though.

Is it 1440p? Thats a deal breaker for me. :)

EDIT: Checked, yes it is.

Last edited:
Associate
I've got the Acer Predator Z301C Ultra Wide and I'm looking to wall mount, preferably after a bracket that is pretty much flush mount with slight pivot. Does anyone have any to recommend?

Associate
EDIT: After some more research, I've committed to a 1080p ultrawide with 120+hz. Which would you all say has the best color production and contrast ratio?

Right now, my top choices are the Alienware HW, and the LG UC79g/UC89g (G-sync adding $200 to the cost is ridiculous).

_____

What's the best 29" ultrawide to get? My top priorities are high refresh rate and color gamut.

I use my monitor for everything, but probably spend more time browsing and watching videos rather than gaming. I'm looking at the Z301c but am worried about the colors and the ghosting. I see that most monitors coming out now are 1440p+, which is just too taxing for my graphics card. I'm currently using (LG 29UM67) and sit about 2.5 ft (0.76m) from my monitor.

Is it worth getting a 34" 1080p like the Alienware AW3418HW at my view distance and what I use it for? Or would I have to get a 1440p monitor if I upgrade?

I could wait to upgrade, but don't know if the 11xx cards or the AMD equivalent will be able to do 100hz at 1440p for all new games.

I could also just stay with my current monitor and use display port to play games at 75hz which would save me a lot of money...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Was thinking of going UW (currently got the BenQ XL2730Z), but i must be missing something, as they look crap, and there is hardly any.

The only one that seems to be ok, going by reviews, is the old Samsung CF791, but ive also read about that having problems, with FreeSync etc....

Last edited:
Associate
Love my CF791. Haven't had any issues. Using with 1080gtx so not used Freesync.

Didn't like design of most others and specs / features were a good match for what I wanted.

Would easily recommend.

Caporegime
Was thinking of going UW (currently got the BenQ XL2730Z), but i must be missing something, as they look crap, and there is hardly any.

The only one that seems to be ok, going by reviews, is the old Samsung CF791, but ive also read about that having problems, with FreeSync etc....

Loads man hold off from buying an UW yet, the new LG due out looks like a bit of a corker (Freesync 2 HDR, 144hz etc etc). Model is 34GK950F-B. Will be the start of the next-gen UW's :)

Soldato
Loads man hold off from buying an UW yet, the new LG due out looks like a bit of a corker (Freesync 2 HDR, 144hz etc etc). Model is 34GK950F-B. Will be the start of the next-gen UW's :)

Will be interesting to see the price difference between the Gsync and freesync versions of HDR monitors. Apparently the Gsync HDR module costs about 500, not sure how accurate that is. But Gsync is not going to be worth an extra 500 if the freesync is the same. Maybe Nvidia will finally support freesync at some point it is very tedious of them to keep up the Gsync thing.

Caporegime
Apparently the Gsync HDR module costs about 500, not sure how accurate that is.

That's the next-gen module (and still a guess, could be more) but the LG will still be using the older module and downclocking to 120hz (due to DP 1.2 b/w limitations). In that sense the Freesync model looks superior.

Caporegime

Windows 7, so no HDR, and i don't think HDRs worth it anyway, as only a couple or so games using it :p

Love my CF791. Haven't had any issues. Using with 1080gtx so not used Freesync.

Didn't like design of most others and specs / features were a good match for what I wanted.

Would easily recommend.

It does seem a good'un, the picture looks fantastic on it, any ghosting, noticeable ?, as its a 4ms.

I take it my LC Vega 64 should be able to handle it too ?

Last edited:
Associate
It does seem a good'un, the picture looks fantastic on it, any ghosting, noticeable ?, as its a 4ms.

I take it my LC Vega 64 should be able to handle it too ?

Haven't noticed ghosting. I can try something specific if you want me to check more closely...

Would think vega would be fine. Give and take with 1080gtx depending on game.

Back
Top Bottom