Distro Recommendation

Soldato
Then I'd go stock Ubuntu. Loads of help and docs are well stocked. Centos/rhel is usually running very old everything and leads people on desktops to just ruin the stability with 3rd party repos and hacks.
I went Manjaro KDE, worked perfect out the box. Installed the nVidia drivers anyway to get the NVIDIA control panel but otherwise its great.

Soldato
As a begginer a rolling distro with a package manager based on 'just replace the binaries and gtfo' seems bit risky ;) but hope you find what you want :)

P.s. arch user here...
I have dived in at the deep end!
Was looking at Neon KDE today, I thunk I’ve caught the bug and will be forever changing now!

Soldato
At work we use RHEL, so thats why I was looking at CentOS. The main reason I am going to switch to Linux is to improve my own skills and get experience with it.

I installed Manjaro this morning and I really like it, nice and clean and I will use it as a base for the time being.

Fedora.

Although they've made a few bizarre design decisions. Like.... getting rid of desktop icons. :confused:

Supposedly it is a Gnome decision and will eventually affect all Gnome based distros.

Also apps don't seem to have a minimize button....

I'm not selling it to you am I. :p

I was a Ubuntu user, but I found 18.04 a bit buggy and I don't like the Ubuntu colour scheme.

---

Fedora*

I found the minimize. It's in the right click menu of an open app.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Many Gnome based distro's are missing the minimise button because it's the default for Gnome. To get it back open the Gnome Tweak tool and add it back.

Back
Top Bottom