Anything better than Giffgaff goodybag?

Soldato
So I've been using Giffgaff for 5 years or more, their use of the o2 network works well for me and the Goodybags are pretty decent. Unlimited minutes, texts and 3gb of data for £10 a month.

What's irking me is while stuck in hospital I'm cracking through my data like nobody's business due to useless and unsecured hospital wifi. There is a so called unlimited package for £20 but you get severely throttled after 9gb of use. I know thats a lot but in a month of heavy use on Netflix etc i can see it being an issue.

Is there anything better out there that doesn't involve a contract?

Soldato
A rolling month contract with three, I think Netflix doesn't count towards data. What we done when when Mrs Kelly was in hospital was download the site to the device in the guest WiFi then watch it :)

Soldato
Oh and any unused data automatically rolls over into your next month and you then get it discounted at the same rate (£1.25/GB)

Soldato
8GB data for £15 with Smarty, monthly sim-only deal (it's basically Giffgaff equivalent on the Three network).

If you use all your data within the month, it's then £1.25/GB to buy more data, in £5 blocks (so £5 = 4GB extra).

https://smarty.co.uk/plans/large

Smarty are great. I have their most expensive package but rarely used anywhere near the data I have so get the money back. I think I paid £6 last month because of it.
*edit*
First month was £15 then it was £6.95 and then £5.92.

Last edited:
Soldato
Smarty are great. I have their most expensive package but rarely used anywhere near the data I have so get the money back. I think I paid £6 last month because of it.
*edit*
First month was £15 then it was £6.95 and then £5.92.

They are great, I've been using the 4GB package for a while and am in a similar situation with most subsequent months being cheaper due to carrying spare data.

They've even added support for data roaming in several parts of Europe now, which means my spare Three 123 sim is almost redundant now.

PS - referral links aren't allowed.

Soldato
They are great, I've been using the 4GB package for a while and am in a similar situation with most subsequent months being cheaper due to carrying spare data.

They've even added support for data roaming in several parts of Europe now, which means my spare Three 123 sim is almost redundant now.

PS - referral links aren't allowed.

Removed the referral link so I don't get into trouble :cool:

First thing I saw on the GiffGaff site
After 20GB of data used you'll experience a reduced data speed of 384kbps from 8am to Midnight.
making the unlimited data plan utterly pointless.

Soldato
OP
Which is why I I'm looking for an alternative whilst in hozzy.

If you have trust could you send me a link that way, if its not against the rules?

Soldato
OP
Am using a VPN already, the problem is the signal keeps dropping out or failing completely. So much so even browsing Facebook can be a chore.

Associate
I'm with 3, I was getting 12gb for equivalent of £9 a month after (£60)topcashback.
Complained about their signal strength and wifi calling and got another £7 per month discount
Now works out to equivalent of £2 per month or £24 for the whole year

Last edited:
Associate
I just got 8GB of data, all you can eat minutes and texts from Three for £10 a month (12 month sim only deal).
I have been with them from 2015 and was on 2GB data, 200 mins and all you can eat texts for.
I had an offer from BT for £10 a month for 3GB data and all you can eat mins and texts. I rang three to see if they could match it and they beat it by quite some way. Normally £16
That was for both mine and the good ladies phone.
Ring and mention the BT deal and they might offer the same.

Caporegime
So I've been using Giffgaff for 5 years or more, their use of the o2 network works well for me and the Goodybags are pretty decent. Unlimited minutes, texts and 3gb of data for £10 a month.

What's irking me is while stuck in hospital I'm cracking through my data like nobody's business due to useless and unsecured hospital wifi. There is a so called unlimited package for £20 but you get severely throttled after 9gb of use. I know thats a lot but in a month of heavy use on Netflix etc i can see it being an issue.

Is there anything better out there that doesn't involve a contract?

i get unlimited call to VM, unlimited texts, 400 mins iirc to any other network or normal landlines plus 4GB of data for £8 per month with VM.

the best thing though is data rolls over for a max of 1 month. since i have wifi at work and wifi at home. i tend to never use data so i have 8gb of data sitting there just in case. plus i'm paying less than you.

i'm sure if i paid £10 or £12 a month i would be on a ridiculous package.

Associate
I just got 8GB of data, all you can eat minutes and texts from Three for £10 a month (12 month sim only deal).
I have been with them from 2015 and was on 2GB data, 200 mins and all you can eat texts for.
I had an offer from BT for £10 a month for 3GB data and all you can eat mins and texts. I rang three to see if they could match it and they beat it by quite some way. Normally £16
That was for both mine and the good ladies phone.
Ring and mention the BT deal and they might offer the same.

I was also recently offered this deal as was the wife, cracking deal for £10 per month with feel at home, hotspot etc included. This was however via the upgrades team and we have both been with Three for years so not sure if they are able to offer this to new customers?

Associate
I'm still on my £17/month unlimited data deal from Three, I should probably actually check and see how much data I use a month and see if I can get the price down.

Back
Top Bottom