Help me choose - mechanical

ajf

ajf

Soldato
I fancy trying a mechanical keyboard for general use at work.
Can you suggest some good, but not too pricey ones?

I know there are quite a few listed here, but from browsing around there seem to be various ‘other’ brands that might suit.
Think an ‘80%’ one would be good. No need for number pad, but I do need F keys.
I’ve also found some nice Tai Hao keycaps that I want, so need one that I can add them too.

Also like the idea of the coily USB cables :)

Afraid this may all sound very newbie :p

On another note, it also seems you can build ones from the ground up?
Not quite at that point yet, but how would I start?

Soldato
Don't bother building one :)

If it's for work, noise might be an issue, and mechanicals are noisy.

Personally, I'd be looking at :
G413 (Romer G-Plus, slightly quieter).
Ducky Zero SZ (MX Brown).
CoolerMaster MasterKey (full length, TKL, ect...).

Plus a whole bunch of mechanicals by Corsair, Ducky, ect... I don't know much about those.

I'd recommend MX Brown / Blue or similar (clicky), they'll be the most familiar. But the blues are quite noisy.

Associate
I'd recommend a Logitech G810/G610/G413, really like the Romer-G switches but don't think (or I haven't seen any?) you can use alternative keycaps as most are designed to use the central stalk found on cherry switches.

OcUK Staff
Hi mate,

Going to have some of these in blue, black and red switch variants a bit cheaper later in the week once some deal stock arrives.

Duckys are well made with cherry switches. If it's your first mech and you are going to be using it for a mix of gaming and typing then go for the red switch!

Ducky One2 TKL Blue Backlit Blue Cherry MX Switch USB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard UK Layout @ £107.99 inc VAT

Ducky One2 TKL Blue Backlit Blue Cherry MX Switch USB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Featuring an all New bezel design, PBT Seamless Double-Shot keycaps, USB N-Key Rollover (USB NKRO), Dual-layer PCB and a UK Keyboard Layout.

Only £107.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Ducky One2 TKL Horizon Blue Cherry MX Switch USB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard UK Layout @ £99.95 inc VAT

Ducky One2 TKL Horizon Red Cherry MX Switch USB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, New bezel design, PBT Seamless Double-Shot keycaps, USB N-Key Rollover (USB NKRO) and Dual-layer PCB, UK Layout

Only £99.95 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Soldato
Associate
I have an aukey KM-G9 i got for £21 and its great otemu blue switches super satasfying click and sooo much cheaper than other options if you just want to try mechanical. (these switches have a higher pitch click than cherry blues)

ajf

ajf

Soldato
OP
Sorry guys, completely forgot I posted this!
Currently gone with a cheap(ish) Durgod TKL with cherry blue :)
It is clicky but so far no complaints from co workers....

Only side issue was it’s US layput so some minor adjustments needed, but they had good reviews for less ££ than Ducky etc.
Really happy with the feel of it though so tempted to upgrade to something else, possibly with cherry brown as I believe they have the same ‘feel’ as blue, without the noise?
Probably a Ducky as they fairly understated for work. Can’t really be going rgb. Lol

Soldato
Browns are between blues and reds. I wouldn't say they have the same feel, but that's the best description I can find.

They are noisy in a different way, but less so. Indeed, between the reds and the blues :)

I'm waiting for low profile mechanical keyboards. Cherry is making low profile keys, but there are others.

Back
Top Bottom