Fitness/smart watch suggestions

Soldato
Versatile how? Genuinely curious what it offers over the others.

It's great in meetings where you can discreetly read text messages or see who is calling without looking at your phone. It has apple pay which has already been mentioned, great fitness app compatibility (I tend to use Strava), it tracks my steps for vitality healthcare and the designs of the watch faces (analogue ones) look smart.

I have a couple of expensive watches but they never get worn now.

Soldato
It's great in meetings where you can discreetly read text messages or see who is calling without looking at your phone. It has apple pay which has already been mentioned, great fitness app compatibility (I tend to use Strava), it tracks my steps for vitality healthcare and the designs of the watch faces (analogue ones) look smart.

I have a couple of expensive watches but they never get worn now.
Mine does all that and more.

Soldato
The original comments was why was the Apple watch so versatile compared to others and so far it's not, it offers nothing the others don't. Other than the Apple logo I suppose.
How about the fact that Apple Pay is actually supported by more than 1-2 banks? Garmin Pay is supported by 1 of the big banks, Santander.

Soldato
I think my point still stands, if you want a smart watch which is an extension of your phone Apple watch all day long. If you want a fitness watch which can play nicely with Garmin, training peaks etc with decent battery life get a Garmin.

Both superb products but both very different.

Soldato
I think my point still stands, if you want a smart watch which is an extension of your phone Apple watch all day long. If you want a fitness watch which can play nicely with Garmin, training peaks etc with decent battery life get a Garmin.

Both superb products but both very different.
You keep saying that but, okay apart from Apple pay Vs Garmin pay. It does nothing the others don't so why the Apple watch all day long.

Soldato
Slight correction Robj20 I said Apple watch all day long if you want a smart watch :)

Apple Watch as a smart watch easily wins here's a list :-
  • Nicer UI
  • Better Screen
  • Reply to alerts with more than just "smart replies"
  • Email functionality
  • Apps which are also on your phone BBC news, sport etc etc.
  • Plays very nicely with your Iphone
  • All within the Apple eco system
  • Apple Music
Garmin Fenix 5 as a fitness watch
  • Very long battery life
  • Better fitness integration
  • Looks like a standard watch
  • More health stats available on the watch face
  • Can link with power meters, swimming chest straps
I genuinely believe they are both awesome products but for what I want fitness my Fenix 5 ticks more boxes. I can live without all the Apple pros as ultimately I have my phone with me. I don't favour either product I've had both products so thought my opinion would help others.

What are your thoughts? Have you owned both products ?

Last edited:
Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I have a Apple watch 2 and a Polar M600. For running the apple watch is poor, and in general the info you can extract out of is limited and is only on your phone (unless you use 3rd party apps i guess).

The polar is fantastic for all things fitness related, the smart functions are as good as the AW, but its a horrible looking watch for day to day usage, AW plays nicer with the Iphone.

Never understood the fascination with apple pay on the watch, ive not seen anyone look cool using it yet :p

Soldato
Slight correction Robj20 I said Apple watch all day long if you want a smart watch :)

Apple Watch as a smart watch easily wins he's a list :-
  • Nicer UI
  • Better Screen
  • Reply to alerts with more than just "smart replies"
  • Email functionality
  • Apps which are also on your phone BBC news, sport etc etc.
  • Plays very nicely with your Iphone
  • All within the Apple eco system
  • Apple Music
Garmin Fenix 5 as a fitness watch
  • Very long battery life
  • Better fitness integration
  • Looks like a standard watch
  • More health stats available on the watch face
  • Can link with power meters, swimming chest straps
I genuinely believe they are both awesome products but for what I want fitness my Fenix 5 ticks more boxes. I can live without all the Apple pros as ultimately I have my phone with me. I don't favour either product I've had both products so thought my opinion would help others.

What are your thoughts? Have you owned both products ?
That's what i was after, thanks. I haven't owned both, i don't have an iphone so an apple watch isn't even an option, i did look at loads of other smart watches though and none seemed to do everything as you say. I feel that being able to reply on the watch would be a waste as like you say you have your phone with you anyway and i couldn't imagine typing on a watch screen. So i'm happy with just notifications means i can have my phone on silent all the time and my watch just vibrates, really useful when in meetings especially.
I do a lot of mountain biking and hiking so gps and tracking were top of my list as well, love the built in weather via the barometer so doesnt rely on the phone, and i get storm warnings.

Commissario
Question to Apple Watch owners, can you use it with My Fitness Pal for adding exercise & step count?
Not sure it actually syncs to MFP directly. I've never seen any exercise logged within MFP that's come from the Apple Watch. If I log an activity on the watch, I can sync it to Strava using HealthFit which then pushes it to MFP but I really haven't found a way to go straight from the watch to MyFitnessPal.

Soldato
a more recent article on optical hrm's accuracy

... I just want something good for swimming heart rate monitoring - it's too easy to relax too much -
chest straps and even watches that are bulky, or might move around, are inconvenient.

went for an older suunto ambit 3 model (<£100 amazon)
I believe this and v800 are still unique where chest hrm will store data until (out of water, or real close) when they can re-connect/send to watch,
has multiple buttons including a manual lap/length button, so will help if you do not want to push-off hard at pool end;
no music, but BT ear-buds in the pool look affected ?

read through a lot of the amzfit stratos forum https://forum.xda-developers.com/sm...ing-amazfit-stratos-experience-t3750134/page5
but swimming reports seemed questionable.
AFAIK buttons on the android watches (single button on stratos) cannot be re-purposed for arbitrary functions eg laps

Back
Top Bottom