Spec me some headphones

Soldato
So at the moment I have a few Beyerdynamic cans, The 770, 990, 1770 and 1990, All 250 Ohm, Being powered by both a Creative AE-5, I know this will make many audiophiles cringe but the sound in games is truly amazing, And externally for when listening to music I have a Schiit stack, Magni 3 and Modi 2.

My upper most price limit is around £500 for a good set of cans, Make doesn't bother me, I'm always open to something new.

Soldato
Probably the best sub £500 headphone that isn't a DT1990 is the HiFiMan Sundara

Here's Currawong's (Head-fi admin and reviewer) review and take into account what he's comparing them to...

Soldato
I would wait until the reviews of the Quad ERA-1 come out. Yes, they are £600, but they may just be the last set of headphones you ever need.

Or just get the Sennheiser 660S for around £350 at the moment.

Man of Honour
Being powered by both a Creative AE-5, I know this will make many audiophiles cringe but the sound in games is truly amazing

Not quite sure how you mean that - the AE-5 has one down in the series from the DAC used in the high end Sennheiser HDV 820, etc. coupled with some top notch opamps and decent circuit design (though I'm not hugely gone on the capacitor selection) though the sound is a touch cold and brittle its very high quality - detailed and expansive and pretty much perfect for clear gaming audio though I'd take the line out and through an external amp for music listening.

The amp on the AE-5 is pretty decent - for most headphones it has easily enough power and can get good control over the drivers though I'm not 100% happy with it driving the Sennheiser HD600 series - it does well but lacks that last "1%" that I know they can do on some amps.

Soldato
I decided what the hell and just bought the Shure 1540's :D

Only had a short time testing them, but very impressed so far :)
The Shure SRH 1540 (Closed back) and SRH 1840 (Opened back) are great...however I'm not sure if they are really better or different enough comparing the the Beyer DT1770 and DT1990 that OP already own and worth the investment...

Associate
Audeze LCD2-C cracking headphones i never tested mine when i got mine due to Hull been very poor for high end Cans only Fanthorpes that do decent Cans. They did Audeze but not the 2C So ordered mine offline and glad i did they look and sound great

Soldato
Audeze LCD2-C cracking headphones i never tested mine when i got mine due to Hull been very poor for high end Cans only Fanthorpes that do decent Cans. They did Audeze but not the 2C So ordered mine offline and glad i did they look and sound great

Certainly these are great headphones, but I think the price is around £600?

That said when you set a budget for headphones, it's very easy to get carried away and end up spending much more than you intended :p

Back
Top Bottom