NEW Pay-by-mile car insurance

Soldato
The minimum flat-rate charge is £150 a year, while minimum distance-based charges set at 3p per mile. A quick tinker with By Miles' online calculator saw these charges rise to £315 a year and 8.5p per mile for a 25-year old Londoner with a two years' no-claims bonus and driving an average large family car.

I do about 3,500 miles a year in my 350Z and even at those minimum rates, that would be more expensive than what I pay normally :p

Soldato
The only way I can see this working would be if they installed a black box in your car. Your call :)

We send you a Miles Tracker in the post to measure the miles you drive. You can plug this under your car’s dashboard in moments.

Looks like it.

Could they not do it with the service history receipts and photos of the miles from the dash display??

Guess they'd rather have peace of mind than rely on customers to be involved.

Don
The only way I can see this working would be if they installed a black box in your car. Your call :)

We send you a Miles Tracker in the post to measure the miles you drive. You can plug this under your car’s dashboard in moments.

Estimate for me worked out at £308.88 based on 5296 miles (which I guess they pull from MOT history). In comparison my current insurer is ~£330 year, 8000 miles annual declared mileage.

Soldato
unplug wheel sensor = zero miles?

Lol i can guarantee it's much more advanced than that!

For a start if it's not regularly synced, then the company will probably be phoning you to ask why its unplugged (plus there's almost certainly a clause in the T&C's that you keep it plugged in).

Also it'll no doubt log the total mileage, so it's hardly like you can unplug it before using it on a long journey, because as soon as you plug in back in, it'll notice an irregularity in clocked mileage, and then the insurance company will be back on your case + likely resulting in insurance being cancelled.

My GF only does about 3k miles a year in her car (infact i probably clock most of that), so a quote for hers is £190 base, and 4.3p/mile. Which works out about £320 a year. Even if we clock an extra 1-1.5k miles the total price is still at a max of £380. I think she pays maybe £400-450.

Permabanned
OP
As usual no one reads and posts...
Quote:
Crucially, drivers will not be charged more depending on how or how fast they drive, and By Miles says they will “never share any of your personal driving data with the police, unless we are obliged to as a direct result of a court order.”

Soldato
Won't quote me. Lol.

Are you looking at the right part?

Infact it's one of the better quote systems as it doesn't ask for much PII. Car reg, your age, and postal code. It'll then estimate your mileage, and you can agree or adjust, and then you're presented with a quote.

Soldato
The quote came to £3 more than I'm paying now, assuming I do the same miles next year. So a bit pointless on a daily car.

Lol i can guarantee it's much more advanced than that!

For a start if it's not regularly synced, then the company will probably be phoning you to ask why its unplugged (plus there's almost certainly a clause in the T&C's that you keep it plugged in).

Also it'll no doubt log the total mileage, so it's hardly like you can unplug it before using it on a long journey, because as soon as you plug in back in, it'll notice an irregularity in clocked mileage, and then the insurance company will be back on your case + likely resulting in insurance being cancelled.

Unless you clock the car in-between plug ins...

I can't see it lasting long, people will cheat.

Last edited:
Soldato
This could be interesting (though I expect as I have business class insurance it might ultimately work out no cheaper, but...):
Capped mileage costs: We'll never charge you more than 10,000 miles each year so based on this quick quote, £724.33 is the maximum you'd pay in total. Not a penny more

Capped mileage cost based on 10K miles / year works nicely for me as I do significantly more than that (I put in 25,000 as my estimate in the quote tool).

Caporegime
Doesn't seem like it would offer any sizable savings for my "low use" car. Might as well continue to use a less restricted, less monitored, and more mod-friendly policy.

<3 Greenlight.

EDIT: NO savings at all, an increase of £165/year

Associate
Miles Tracker information: we’ll automatically collect a range of vehicle and driving related information from the Miles Tracker installed in your vehicle, including:

• the location of your car and roads you've driven on;
  • the date and time of day driven;
  • the distance driven, and the time used to drive that distance;
  • the speed and acceleration of the car;
  • the smoothness of braking, accelerating and cornering

Talk about Big Brother..

Back
Top Bottom