*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The smoke seals the meat in the first 2hrs of cooking, and the rub also seals the meat in, again all about locking in the moisture while it cooks. That is some theory i read somewhere at least. Ruddy hard to do it seems :)

I like a smokey sweetness so i pick out the rubs with sugar or maple syrup (brown sugar is much cheaper) again so easy to do at home.

Just decided on this weekends cook after a week on the huel i am in desperate need of a couple of croissants and a beer can chicken this weekend :)

Last edited:
Soldato
File%2018-07-2018%2C%2016%2010%2001.jpeg

Lamb on the Traeger yesterday!

If anything it was too smokey but I’m experimenting with pellets and this was a mix of a couple of brands with particularly smokey woods within!

Soldato
Great looking lamb. I always wonder about oversmokeyness. If it's even possible on a kettle/vertical smoker/kamado using charcoal with some wood chunks, how is it not an inevitability on an offset using logs only and pellet smokers?

Man of Honour
Great looking lamb. I always wonder about oversmokeyness. If it's even possible on a kettle/vertical smoker/kamado using charcoal with some wood chunks, how is it not an inevitability on an offset using logs only and pellet smokers?

On pellet smokers at least it's often said that it's not smoky enough. I think this is because you get a really clean burn so the smoke levels are lower. Possibly true on offset too?

My personal experience is that pellet smokers definitely don't oversmoke beef, lamb, salmon, etc. However, I've definitely managed it on chicken.

Soldato
On pellet smokers at least it's often said that it's not smoky enough. I think this is because you get a really clean burn so the smoke levels are lower. Possibly true on offset too?

My personal experience is that pellet smokers definitely don't oversmoke beef, lamb, salmon, etc. However, I've definitely managed it on chicken.
Fount of knowledge as ever

Soldato
This is potentially a very stupid question but please bear with me.

When you guys are smoking your meats in the kettle BBQs, are you having to add more coals or will they last for the length of the required smoke?

Soldato
This is potentially a very stupid question but please bear with me.

When you guys are smoking your meats in the kettle BBQs, are you having to add more coals or will they last for the length of the required smoke?
Not a stupid question at all. Depends on how long you want to cook for, how hot you want to cook (hotter = faster burn), what brand of coals you use and what setup for the coals you use.

Look up the snake method and minion method. With a snake you can easily get 8-10 hours of cooking at ~250F with decent coals (weber briquettes or heat beads).

Soldato
Not a stupid question at all. Depends on how long you want to cook for, how hot you want to cook (hotter = faster burn), what brand of coals you use and what setup for the coals you use.

Look up the snake method and minion method. With a snake you can easily get 8-10 hours of cooking at ~250F with decent coals (weber briquettes or heat beads).

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Soldato
I just BBQ'd for my team at work.

Holy hell gas barbecues are awful. I have no idea why anyone could consider them "convenient" when all they do is catch on fire all the time and carbonise everything.

Associate
@thewanted I've just ordered the fireboard probe. I'm going to order the WSC in the next couple of weeks but want everything else lined up prior to it.

I know you got your BBQ guru pit viper fan imported but the main BBQ guru site doesn't let you order to a UK address (not an option on the drop down). As the fan is fairly cheap I could take the hit on tax.
Any idea where else to get it? Was yours a variable speed one?

Thanks

Soldato
@thewanted I've just ordered the fireboard probe. I'm going to order the WSC in the next couple of weeks but want everything else lined up prior to it.

I know you got your BBQ guru pit viper fan imported but the main BBQ guru site doesn't let you order to a UK address (not an option on the drop down). As the fan is fairly cheap I could take the hit on tax.

Thanks

Hey,

I believe that if you contact BBQ Guru directly they will generate an invoice for a UK address and should be able to ship it here. Failing that, the only other place that I know of in Europe which has them is https://www.grillstar.de/bbq-guru-pit-viper-10-cfm-luefter. Email [email protected] first and see what they say.

The fan is variable if you have the right controller. The BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud doesn't support variable speeds, but the FlameBoss 300, FireBoard etc. do.

Soldato
Thanks for your help, I put something on the site comment form and they emailed just now so will go from there.

No prob. When I ordered mine from them I couldn't pay for it due to the UK not appearing in the dropdown like you said. They generated a manual PayPal payment link and invoice for me and I was then able to complete the order.

Caporegime
Warning, crap BBQ equipment incoming....

So the BBQ of choice does have vents on the bottom and top. I think I'm going to cheat and do it on the oven, doing a lot of other things and I think I won't give it the proper attention it needs.

Man of Honour
Warning, crap BBQ equipment incoming....

So the BBQ of choice does have vents on the bottom and top. I think I'm going to cheat and do it on the oven, doing a lot of other things and I think I won't give it the proper attention it needs.

Just do the first couple of hours in there to get a nice smoke ring. After that you can finish in the oven and the final product will be pretty close to the original anyhow.

Soldato

Thanks

Where did you order the FireBoard from, my next purchase and angusandoink seems the place I will go unless you found a better deal!?

Soldato

Out of interest what pellets did you use with lamb, I used the last of some Cookinpellets perfect mix and some new ones from Liverpoolwoodpellets and both hickory/mesquite based so at the smokier end of the scale - I image a fruit wood based pellet would have been a milder smoke and nicer with lamb but just my feeling until I next smoke some lamb.

I made a curry with the leftovers last night, that was fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom