whats up with my toilet

Soldato
so recently my toilet starting making a noise like a screw rattling.

It is making it pretty much all the time apart from when i have flushed and the water is running into the toilet.

once the water has stopped and it is refilling it is making it again.

it sounds like it is coming from under the rim of the bowl.

Any ideas please?

Soldato
Check where the overflow is actually running to especially if it's a new build house, they tend to just them leak under the floor unto the ceiling below.

Avant Homes do anyway.

Associate
Overflows are internal to the bowl on the majority if not all w/c's nowadays.
I'd guess yours is overflowing and that's what you can hear.

Associate
Overflows are internal to the bowl on the majority if not all w/c's nowadays.
I'd guess yours is overflowing and that's what you can hear.

This is true, and if it is a modern toilet the amount of leakage may be so small you might not even see it easily and it will be directly in to the bowl. When this happens in a modern toilet it's usually limescale. If you pull off the top of the cistern and squirt in some strong acid toilet cleaner and leave it overnight it should fix the problem. Incidentally, the screw noise is probably actually a small piece of broken-off ceramic rattling someplace and is nothing to worry about.

Associate
Sorry to jump in but thought it was best to post here.

I have noticed that they is a hissing noise coming from the toilet. I have pulled the cover up and found out that it is constantly running.
Anyone able to give me an idea of what I need to try and do to fix this?

Thank you and sorry for the jumping in.

Associate
Sorry to jump in but thought it was best to post here.

I have noticed that they is a hissing noise coming from the toilet. I have pulled the cover up and found out that it is constantly running.
Anyone able to give me an idea of what I need to try and do to fix this?

Thank you and sorry for the jumping in.

If you lift the ball a little does it stop leaking? If it does you can turn that plastic screw on top of the black shaft so it engages sooner. Most likely the rubber diaphragm inside is worn (or the nozzle that pushes against it is broken), you can buy parts but a new one is cheap. You can reuse the ball float from the existing one

https://www.screwfix.com/p/opella-bottom-entry-toilet-cistern-float-valve-part-3/52836

Soldato
OP
seem to have solved the problem, took the flush mechanism out and cleaned the hole into the toilet and the rubber that lifts up to allow the flush and it seems to have solved it.

There was some grime on the rubber that must have just been breaking the seal and allowing the smallest amount of water through.

Back
Top Bottom