*** The official 2018 MacBook Pro thread (it has six cores and everything!) ***

Soldato
They’ve seriously now not got a MagSafe power connector? Guaranteed that cable is going to cause damage at some point, that is absolutely idiotic product design.
They solved this problem in 2006 and decided to design it back in to new versions?

Mag safe hasn't been a thing for a while now. The only computer that has it (Air) hasn't been updated for years.

Soldato
No, I'm saying it was ditched by Apple when they went all USB-C so your rage is literally years late.

Mag-safe was great and its bizarre it wasn't more widely copied but ultimately they had a choice between all USB-C and mag-safe. Mag-safe lost.

Permabanned
They’ve seriously now not got a MagSafe power connector? Guaranteed that cable is going to cause damage at some point, that is absolutely idiotic product design.
They solved this problem in 2006 and decided to design it back in to new versions?
Mag safe hasn't been a thing for a while now. The only computer that has it (Air) hasn't been updated for years.
Are you saying that MagSafe is bad product design?

No, he isn't... just that it's been gone for a while.

Another frustration for me about the latest models... magsafe was one of the best features of the macbook... a good while back I worked repairing things and the main failure point on a laptop is the power connector... even with normal use, they come loose... and often the manufacturer will only fix it by replacing the mainboard.

... mine's been shipped with an ETA of next Friday.

No, I'm saying it was ditched by Apple when they went all USB-C so your rage is literally years late.

Mag-safe was great and its bizarre it wasn't more widely copied but ultimately they had a choice between all USB-C and mag-safe. Mag-safe lost.

Pretty sure Apple pattented it.

Most companies like the standard power connector because they sell more laptops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Mag safe is an order of magnitude more expensive compared to a normal DC coaxial type connector and the margin is really thin on PC laptops.

Anyway back on topic anyone notice the thermal issues in day to day use yet?

Permabanned
Am considering just hanging onto it... my laptop use is quite light and the single core boost of the i9 I'll notice more in daily use than the rendering performance.

I'm tempted to replace the paste... but killing the warranty on a £4400 laptop is not my favourite idea.

Permabanned
You can get the USB-C MagSafe adaptor - some 3rd party company made an in line (well, right on the USB C Port), MagSafe cable, seems to work about the same.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...s-magsafe-magnetic-charging-usb-c-macbook-pro

Nice! Glad to see that... might nab one.

Other annoyances are, I always have to carry around a USB-C to USB-A and SD card adapter... wish they'd kept 1-2 legacy USB ports for the next few years at least and an integral SD card slot I'd make plenty of use out of :/

Soldato
I have one of the Belkin USB-C magsafe equivalent, works well.

I plan on testing out the i9 for how I work and viewing the performance/throttling. Also see Mac Fan app can ramp up the fans earlier, hoping that may help.

We shall see :)

Caporegime
Nice! Glad to see that... might nab one.

Other annoyances are, I always have to carry around a USB-C to USB-A and SD card adapter... wish they'd kept 1-2 legacy USB ports for the next few years at least and an integral SD card slot I'd make plenty of use out of :/

Taking out the SD card reader was a **** move to be honest. Professionals and amateurs need that as camera tech is slow to move on and high end cameras last years. They can’t claim not enough space. It’s a tiny bit of kit. Widespread wireless transfer is years away from mainstream.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Can't say I'm surprised that we are hearing of thermal throttling issues, Apply solely rely on the chassis to dissipate the heat and it just isn't enough, also they seem to value silence over actually having any longevity in their products and run them rediculously hot before the fans kick in.

Associate
Let s say 'hypothetically' that thermal throttling wasn't an issue on either the i7 or i9 Pro's. What would justify buying the i9 over the i7 or viece versa. I am asking as a potential buyer, cheers.

Caporegime
Let s say 'hypothetically' that thermal throttling wasn't an issue on either the i7 or i9 Pro's. What would justify buying the i9 over the i7 or viece versa. I am asking as a potential buyer, cheers.

If they can overcome the thermal issues, which looks unlikely, the i9 has higher clocks so will be slightly faster, but certainly not game changing. As it’s stands the i9 is pointless.

Soldato
Dammit DPD. Two separate deliveries from Apple due today via them. Got a message for both 'Thanks for your request, we have rescheduled your deliveries for Monday'. The gits.

Back
Top Bottom