• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Hope they're good to go in my X470 board! I purchased it with a 2600X over Intel with the gamble in mind that Zen2 would let me drop in an Intel-beating processor when they were released. Fingers crossed they don't need a new chipset!

Soldato
AMD will need to keep something up their sleeve for a potential Intel fightback, so if they managed to get a 10-15% IPC uplift, I doubt they'd also increase clocks by that much and up the core count. Upping CCXs to 6-cores and therefore being able to release 12-core mainstream chips, plus a 10-15% IPC increase, would mean they can compete easily without any clock uplift at all. In fact, they could keep lower clocks on all but their -X series chips and boast better power efficiency. That doesn't mean the chips won't be able to overclock higher though, that might happen regardless.

8-core CCXs are also interesting since it means they can release an R7 3700X equivalent with just a single CCX, eliminating an infinity fabric issues that have affected performance in certain applications (games mainly). I still don't think they'd release a 16 core mainstream chip if they managed this though. Absolutely no reason to cannibalise their HEDT platform since Intel has nothing anywhere near this right now.

However, all rumour and "don't believe it until I see it" is my default response.

Permabanned
The HEDT platform will get a 32-core Threadripper with just 2 dies, instead of this year's with 4 dies.
The mainstream should get a Ryzen 7 12-core and perhaps Ryzen 8/9/10 16-core.

Soldato
Man of Honour
I really hope they can at least draw level with Intel on single core performance. It would be nice to change to a new, cheaper platform. At the moment though my 4790k has better single core performance than even the 2700x going by the cinebench comparison we did in the huge Ryzen thread. Before anybody says it, I know multicore performance is better than Intel but that is totally irrelevant to me as most of the games that I play are single threaded.

Soldato
Intel rumoured to start using solder again on their k chips, and clocks possibly going higher. I think if Intel can hit clocks beyond 5ghz for Ice Lake they'll probably still be ahead in games etc.

Guess it depends what clocks AMD can get now.

Associate
So true and if Intel actually starts soldering their CPU's again (which is something they have refused to do for years), we can probably thank AMD for that one too ;)

Caporegime
Yeah now that they're being pushed it's funny how they're no longer worried about the solder cracking. TIM under the heatspreader is one of the biggest con jobs in CPU history, it's cheaper and requires the user to void their warranty to be able to overclock properly that's all there is to it.

Soldato
I really hope they can at least draw level with Intel on single core performance. It would be nice to change to a new, cheaper platform. At the moment though my 4790k has better single core performance than even the 2700x going by the cinebench comparison we did in the huge Ryzen thread. Before anybody says it, I know multicore performance is better than Intel but that is totally irrelevant to me as most of the games that I play are single threaded.

It's a waiting game. An 8/16 AMD at 4.6 or Intel at 4.6-4.8 will be perfect for pretty much anything and should last years.

Caporegime
They would be better focusing on IPC and clockspeed than bunging more cores on. 8c\16t is already more than enough for the majority of users. Isn't it easier to raise core-clocks when there's less cores that need to reach the same speed?

Caporegime
Yeah now that they're being pushed it's funny how they're no longer worried about the solder cracking. TIM under the heatspreader is one of the biggest con jobs in CPU history, it's cheaper and requires the user to void their warranty to be able to overclock properly that's all there is to it.

Yup, there probably is some truth in it but its funny how when amd stopped being competitive intel suddenly seen this as a big issue that needed to be addressed. Intel's "tick tock" turned into a "drip drip" in terms of ipc improvements.

Soldato
Considering Zen 2 is targetted at Icelake (which is now delayed) the IPC claim seems most likely to be true. 8 core CCX seems less likely but it could happen. 6 core looks more realistic but it wouldn't surprise me if AMD sticks with 4. And hopefully GF/TSMC's 7nm process will allow significantly higher clockspeeds, as the current 14/12nm is what's holding it back.

Soldato
2020 on that slide though :(

But that aside, great news from AMD. Feels like the days of a worthwhile upgrade every 12-24 months might be returning!

Back
Top Bottom