*** The official 2018 MacBook Pro thread (it has six cores and everything!) ***

Permabanned
I'm genuinely a rocket scientist and it's caught me out... however I happen to be a spontaneous and forgetful rocket scientist who is bad at planning for myself. Even though one of my main roles for my day job client is project planning lol... I'm weird :D

A good few years down the line... I'd guess 5... it'll be normal... these DSLRs and other things will use WiFi or NFC or something similar to communicate data and will happilly communicate wirelessly... but in the interim... when you forget something dum... it's annoying. A number of them already have the tech ready for that type of data exhchange and have used it for years too.

I like to argue Apple trying to cash in on licensing, because I'm a cynical ass ;)

They claim they're pushing the bar forward to get accessory and equipment manufacturers to catch up and follow them. Despite my annoyances... I will grudgingly admit, that Apple, being the large provider that it is... going down this route, does force their hand to catch up as they have to in order to please their client and work with the content creation equipment.

My annoyance is on Apple... but, annoyingly, the better way forward is to push the other manufacturers to catch up with Apple.

Can I respect them for it and be annoyed at it at the same time? :)

Soldato
I'm genuinely a rocket scientist and it's caught me out... however I happen to be a spontaneous and forgetful rocket scientist who is bad at planning for myself. Even though one of my main roles for my day job client is project planning lol... I'm weird :D

A good few years down the line... I'd guess 5... it'll be normal... these DSLRs and other things will use WiFi or NFC or something similar to communicate data and will happilly communicate wirelessly... but in the interim... when you forget something dum... it's annoying. A number of them already have the tech ready for that type of data exhchange and have used it for years too.

I like to argue Apple trying to cash in on licensing, because I'm a cynical ass ;)

They claim they're pushing the bar forward to get accessory and equipment manufacturers to catch up and follow them. Despite my annoyances... I will grudgingly admit, that Apple, being the large provider that it is... going down this route, does force their hand to catch up as they have to in order to please their client and work with the content creation equipment.

My annoyance is on Apple... but, annoyingly, the better way forward is to push the other manufacturers to catch up with Apple.

Can I respect them for it and be annoyed at it at the same time? :)
Wow

Soldato
OP
Christ people banging on about sd card slots!

Yes it's useful to have, end of.

I used a transcend jet sd card in my old Macbook to double it's storage and you didn't know it was there.

I'm hoping someone will come out with a tiny usbc memory card that sits near flush with the chassis in a similar way, bonus is it should be faster as well.

Man of Honour
Christ people banging on about sd card slots!

Yes it's useful to have, end of.

I used a transcend jet sd card in my old Macbook to double it's storage and you didn't know it was there.

I'm hoping someone will come out with a tiny usbc memory card that sits near flush with the chassis in a similar way, bonus is it should be faster as well.
They do exist for USB-A but I've not seen one yet for USB-C.

Soldato
Caporegime
Yeah I think you should leave this thread if you have nothing of value to add and if you're just going to rehash the same old.

Leave it to the people who know what they are talking about.

:rolleyes:

On a more interesting note pulling the power gadget is interesting. I guess the damage control team is being mobilised.

Man of Honour
Not impressed with the battery life, seems worse than my late 2013 MBP, video obviously consumes but run down is not as I had expected.

Disappoint

Man of Honour
I'm really struggling with a decision to buy a new 15" MBP or buy a 15" Surface Book 2. The Surface Book 2 looks better, has far better functionality and better spec imo but I do really want an OSX system to continue my app development. But Apple are really just mugging people off with **** poor updates to their laptops/desktops lately that even as an Apple fanboy, it's hard to stomach the Apple tax when the alternatives are so much better

Soldato
The two machines are quite different, the surface book is a very high end 2 in 1/convertible tablet. The Macbook Pro is a very high end traditional laptop.

The surface book isnt a better spec, it wins in graphics but that's it. It has a i7 8650U which is a 15W quad core part with a base clock of 1.9 and turbos to 4.2.

On the other hand the Macbook has a i7 8750H which is a 45W hex core part with a base clock of 2.2 and can turbo to 4.1.

The Mac's SSD is also far quicker but its GPU is slower.

Lets also be realistic, as much as the thermal solution on the Mac isn't great, the Surface Book also cannot sustain turbo speeds longer than a few minutes. Under stained maximum CPU load the Macbook will beat out the Surface Book by a good margin. Where it gets interesting is under mixed loads, the Surface Books's split design and GTX1060 will come well into play.

Back
Top Bottom