Growing from seeds indoors - when to plant into bigger pots

Soldato
For a bit of fun I've managed to grow a few citrus plants from seeds, not expecting it to work (never tried it before). They're really only a few weeks old (1 week germinating, less than two in small seeding pots). The strongest of those germinated have been placed in their own little square black plastic pots you can buy for planting seeds. Problem is, the soil seems to be drying out quickly in these little pots and am tempted to move them into their own large pots. Is there any reason not to do this when they are so small?
They're doing well so far but ideally I'd like to be able to water them once every 4 days to a week due to being away so thought "why not just move them to their own large pots now?" which should mean the soil will retain moisture for longer.

I have no idea about growing plants, so any reason they should be kept in their small pots for longer, given that they're already one tiny plant per small pot and only going to be grown indoors?

Soldato
The root system needs to be established before potting them on, ideally when they're showing through the bottom of the existing pots. If you try to move them too early, there's a risk you'll damage the roots and they'll struggle to take hold.:)

Associate
You can plant then in larger pots but as kinetic has touched on, they may be too delicate to move if you wanted to transplant them whilst small.
If you're prepared to stick them in a larger pot to start with and just leave them to get to a good size then it's not an issue.
Also with a small pot you get a nice root ball for when replanting elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom