Good lease deals on less than great cars

Soldato
Hi Guys

My wife is looking at a 2 year lease deal does she need to get gap insurance?

The lease company expect the value of a 2 year old car (that has yet to have VAT paid) plus the total lease payments (including deposit). If you write a car off in the first year, you should be safe (the insurance pay out up to the full new value of the car). The 2nd year you have a maximum of 12x payments minus the difference of the 2nd year's depreciation (minus VAT?). If there is any difference in this, I don't expect it to be much so have not bothered. From what I've read, the insurance company has sorted the write off between themselves and the lease company. With PCP, it is probably worth getting.

Soldato
Can anyone help with this? :)

Any good lease deals knocking about to suit the requirements below? I'm asking for a friend since his current lease is almost over and he is looking for something to replace it.

Requirements
  • Medium sized family hatchback
  • Annual Millage - 6000
  • Fuel Type - Petrol
  • Budget - All of the above for as little £££ as possible
He ideally would like a Vauxhall Astra but anything in it's class with better numbers would do.

Last edited:
Soldato
My local Ford dealer had the 140bhp Focus ST line for £179 down and £179p/m on a special offer which is an excellent deal for a car that’s sticker price is nearly 20k

Soldato
Soldato
My local Ford dealer had the 140bhp Focus ST line for £179 down and £179p/m on a special offer which is an excellent deal for a car that’s sticker price is nearly 20k
That's something I'd be interested in! Unfortunately, the local dealers don't seem to share the same deal.

Soldato
That's something I'd be interested in! Unfortunately, the local dealers don't seem to share the same deal.
Yes the prices can vary quite a lot depending on location. When I checked my 3 nearest they all had different prices. I was going to get one myself at that price but they were only available on 3-4 yr contracts. I was only looking for 2yrs max.
Did you check out the smart lease link I posted above that only works out £500 more over 2 years if the Ford offer is not available by you.
They also had the new Fiesta ST Line for just under £120 per month

Man of Honour
I understand that you have to buy your own insurance with a lease car. I also understand that some leases include maintenance and others do not. But please can someone advise what happens with tax? Is it built into the cost of the lease or would I have to tax the car myself? Thank you.

Soldato
I understand that you have to buy your own insurance with a lease car. I also understand that some leases include maintenance and others do not. But please can someone advise what happens with tax? Is it built into the cost of the lease or would I have to tax the car myself? Thank you.
If you're car is less than 3 years old? Which most lease cars are, tax is free afaik.

Soldato
My Golf Gti lease ends November this year (was 2 years and 10k p a) - paying a very low £247 a month - Asked for an extension quote for another year - £198 for 12 months!! No brainer

Soldato
With regards to road tax/VED, it is usually included and the car is taxed by the lease company but it depends on the agreement type.

Contract Hire includes VED, but some companies quote for Operating Lease agreements which usually don’t include tax and it’s down to the user to tax the vehicle. Some companies quote for an operating lease to give a lower headline cost.

Back
Top Bottom