asigra / commvault type product on azure file share as repository

Caporegime
If you're using a backup software that isn't cloud-aware then you'll need to have something to provide some caching before things go off to the cloud. AWS Storage Gateway is one option, Azure Files Sync is another. Using Azure Files for backup data is going to cost you a fair amount more than using cloud blob storage.

Azure Backup Server (DPM) is another option if you have physical/Hyper-V/VMware environments that need to be backed up, but obviously not an option if you're happy with e.g. Veeam and don't want to change.

Associate
OP
thanks, So what backup softwares are azure aware, have a caching component and can use blob storage and can backup vms as well a files/application aware. i don think this is rocket science, so dont want to pay for a managed service..maybe just a bit of pro services to help get setup.

Soldato
We use CommVault for this. backs up onsite servers to Azure hosted servers. The site nodes connect to a front end proxy that redirects the traffic to a backend Media Transfer Agent server. This then connects to Azure blob storage directly. Seems to work pretty well although I don't manage it myself.

- GP

Caporegime
thanks, So what backup softwares are azure aware, have a caching component and can use blob storage and can backup vms as well a files/application aware. i don think this is rocket science, so dont want to pay for a managed service..maybe just a bit of pro services to help get setup.

If you’re starting from scratch then I find it hard not to recommend Azure Backup, as long as it fits your environment.

Associate
Cloudberry MBS as mentioned by nightmare99 above. They have different flavours eg straightforward file backup, SQL and Exchange agents, will back up both physical and VM's. It will do Azure-only or local+Azure hybrid, using blob storage. It's maybe not as polished or as reliable as Azure Backup itself but what I was sold on was the central monitoring console. Nor is the VM central monitoring as good as Altaro but Altaro is VM-only really, no bare-metal physical machine cover. Countless people have shouted for central monitoring for Azure Backup but other than basic emailing or tagging event logs yourself (or the powerbi reporting for individual tenants only) there's still no central UI for managing multiple sites/installs yet.

Associate
OP
in the end had good success with veeampn and veeam..backed up all my onpremise into azure, restore to on prem and restored into azure , very good value solution.

Soldato
We've had nothing but good results using VEEAM backing up a selection of our stuff into a Azure scale out repository for 3x redundancy that our clients like to have.

Associate
OP
dramatically improved disk io requirements for azure repository..

format the disk with REFS 64K cluster size, recreated the repository (so veeam detects refs 64K).

consolidation of restore points dramatically improve by factor of 5-10x

now to test performance of a standard hdd (rather than premium ssd with read write cache) in azure

Associate
We're now using Zerto to replicate VMs to cloud or our own secondary data centre.

With Veeam using snapshotting, you have to take care of the load on the vCenter in large environments

Back
Top Bottom