Launcher recommendation

Soldato
Recently got the p20 Pro and just cannot get on with not having folders in my app drawer :( have tried Nova launcher but it seems you have to pay to get folders and tabs on that, and also Evie but don't seem to be able to do it on that either.

What is everyone using, is Nova with paying for??

Soldato
I'll throw Smart Launcher into the mix - I've been using it for a couple of years now whereas before I tended to switch from one launcher to another every couple of months!

I like the way it's all arranged and user friendly - once used to it I've struggled to find anything that compares!

Associate
Nova here, have switched to it for Mother whiskycycle on her phone, and all her niggles with the P10 and default launcher have vanished... still should have bought her an iPhone though!

I'm still running Nova on my own secondary Nexus 6P though, and it's definitely the best of the bunch in my eyes.

Soldato
Interesting thread. I have an Honor 9 Lite arriving in a couple of weeks and had thought that I might need another launcher. But I'll probably spend time with EMUI first. So looks like either Nova or Microsoft Launcher.

No mentions of Apex yet, but that's what I've been using on my last 3 phones - S4, Note 4 and S8+.

Does putting a new launcher on Huawei/Honor impact how and when O/S updates are delivered ?

Do you remember shell replacements for Windows 95 and 98 back in the late 90s? Explorer was the shell and 3 examples of replacements were Darkstep, Litestep and Talisman. It's not a huge thing for Windows any more, but that's what a launcher is - a shell replacement for phones. An Android update won't interfere with the launcher. At the same time, launcher's own updates won't interfere with Android. Very occasionally, the phone will ask you which launcher to use, select your preferred one and select the box to always remember that option. I think I've only been asked that once in 12 months.

Soldato
Nova, and if you make use Google Rewards then you don't really have to pay for it. Haven't paid for an app out of my own pocket in years thanks to that source of free money.

Soldato
No mentions of Apex yet, but that's what I've been using on my last 3 phones - S4, Note 4 and S8+.

Do you remember shell replacements for Windows 95 and 98 back in the late 90s? Explorer was the shell and 3 examples of replacements were Darkstep, Litestep and Talisman. It's not a huge thing for Windows any more, but that's what a launcher is - a shell replacement for phones. An Android update won't interfere with the launcher. At the same time, launcher's own updates won't interfere with Android. Very occasionally, the phone will ask you which launcher to use, select your preferred one and select the box to always remember that option. I think I've only been asked that once in 12 months.

Very familiar with Windows 95 and 98 although I didn't know about any replacement shells. I guess the Android Launcher is a bit like Linux and the various desktop environments - KDE, Gnome etc

Not too familiar with Android having had Windows phone for the last 6 years (7.8 through 10) although alongside that I've had a 1st Gen Moto G that I've played with quite a bit. It is generic Android though so I'm wondering how I'll get along with EMUI. Microsoft launcher tempts me for obvious reasons and there are launchers that make Android look like W10 but I won't go that route, better to make the break.

Back
Top Bottom